Eᴅɢᴇ ᴏғ Gʀᴇᴀᴛ

______________________________________

The car ride back home was awkward to say the least. Layla knew she probably wouldn't be in much trouble considering only Julie was grounded, but she was there when she knew Julie was in trouble.

Ray hadn't said much which made the girls nervous. They trudge up the walkway toward the door in silence.

"Julie, we need to talk." Ray says causing both girls to stop. Layla eyes him unsure of what she should do. "Layla, you can head inside."

The girl simply nods before giving her cousin a small smile which Julie returns. Layla quickly walks in shutting the door behind her.

She heads up the stairs and into her room. As she closes the door behind her, a whooshing sound is heard and Luke plops down on her bed.

Layla jumped slightly before realizing it was him. She sets her bag down as he smiles at her.

"Hey. Everything okay ?" He asks

"Yeah, I think so. Julie's talking to her dad now."

"Do you think he'll make her quit the band ?"

"No, I don't think so." She says sitting next to him, "Especially since it's getting her back into what she loves."

Luke nods before turning to her, "Did you get in trouble ?"

Layla shakes her head, "No. At least I don't think so. I might get lectured for helping her sneak out, but that's probably it."

"Well, that's good."

"Yeah."

"You were amazing tonight by the way." Luke smiles

"Thanks." Layla chuckles, "It was very nerve racking."

"Yeah, but you did amazing though. I didn't know you sang as well."

"A little." Layla says tilting her head, "I think I'm usually better in the back."

"I think you did amazing in the spotlight." Luke says causing Layla to look him in the eye, "You need to give yourself more credit."

Layla's smile widens, "Well, thank you. I appreciate it."

"Of course." Luke nods. He looks down noticing Layla's hand on the bed beside him. He slowly moves his hand closer to hers before his pinky touches her. Layla looks down feeling his hand before her brows furrow.

"How is that possible ?" She asks softly

"I don't know. It's something we can add to Alex's list, I guess." He chuckles, "Does it make you uncomfortable ?"

Layla shakes her head, "No."

The two look at each other now noticing that they were closer than they were before. Neither of them knew how hard the other's heart was pounding in their chest. As Luke's eyes search her face, both jump at the knock on Layla's door.