Uɴsᴀɪᴅ Eᴍɪʟʏ

______________________________________

Layla sits at her locker with Janet on her right.

"I actually can't wait for your guys' next performance." Janet says, "I'm so happy you're singing and writing again."

"You can thank Julie for that. I had no intentions on actually singing." Layla chuckles

"Well, she obviously knows that there is something going on with you and Luke." Janet smiles

"Yeah, but Luke isn't exactly real. I'm not sure how much longer this is gonna last." Layla says

"And that scares you ?"

"Yeah." Layla scoffs, "And it's different because we don't just connect when we're performing or writing, but in other ways, too. We both know what it feels like to lose our moms."

Janet smiles sadly as Layla closes her locker. She sighs as she turns to her, "I wish I could help him, you know ? He never got the chance for closure."

"Maybe you can write him a song." Janet shrugs, "It's something you guys both understand."

Layla's eyes widen, "You're literally a genius. I love you so much."

"Duh." Janet says playfully

"Wait, this isn't making you uncomfortable, right ? Talking with your ex about their new crush."

Janet scoffs, "No, you're still my best friend." Layla smiles as Janet wraps her arm around her. The two start walking down the hall, "Now if we would've ended badly, then maybe."

"Well, good thing you didn't let me push you away."

"No way. I'll never let that happen."

_______________________________________

Layla takes a deep breath as she makes her way up the driveway. She had a plan to give Luke's mother the song he wrote about her. She exhales slowly as she steps onto the porch. Just as she was going to push the doorbell, she hears a whooshing sound. She turns to her right with wide eyes.

"Luke !" Layla exclaims

The boy frowns, "What are you doing here ?"

"Okay, um, look. I... I just wanted to know more about you, you know, just curious. Um..." She stammers, "So, I came here last week on your birthday."

"You were spying on me ?" Luke reiterates. When Layla stays silent he steps closer, "Even after all your speeches about boundaries ? You were spying on me ?"

"I know." Layla says looking up at him, "I'm sorry. It was wrong. But I'm worried about you."

Luke steps back, "You don't have to be."

Layla's face softens, "I get it. Trust me, I know how hard it is when you want to speak to someone you love and can't. I've felt that way my whole life."