Chapter 12: The Golden Princess and Her Champion

Niall sat on a bench at Brooke park, occasionally reaching into his bag of Pick n Mix. It was close to 5pm now, he was already feeling worn out from his walk. He figured he'd need to take walks often to build up stamina for work, might also help with his limp. Despite the chill, there was a decent amount of people in the park, mostly parents and their wains. One person in particular had caught his attention.

     Some young girl was dancing about the park with a Walkman and headset on. She was wearing a zipped up blue jumper, black shorts, some colorful leggings, and a pair of black trainers, with her frizzy hair tied into a pony tail. Her movements were at times strange, yet also very elegant. She moved passed others with incredible ease, didn't seem to have a care in the world. Niall wished he could have that feeling. Feeling a twinge in his leg, he stretched it out and tilted his head back and let out a long sigh.

Orla McCool was in her own little world as usual. The quirky, free spirited Derry Girl was out and about practicing her dancing to the mixed tape on her Walkman. She loved letting the music consume her every being, tapping to the beats, her movements as natural to her as breathing. Michelle was at work (but she knew Fin Fin would visit her like always), Erin and James decided to do a double date with Clare and Lorie, so that left the young McCool to wander about town by herself.

She often ended up in Brooke Park, which was one of her favorite places ever. It wasn't overly crowded today, so she was able more freely hop, skip, jump, and twirl about. She was so caught up in her dancing, she didn't notice the fella sitting on the bench with his leg stretched out. As she was about to perform another leap, she tripped over something. Fearing she was about to hit the ground, she shut her eyes tightly as she braced for inevitable impact.

Orla was panting heavily, suddenly still, but it didn't feel like she had collided with the ground.
"Fuck, I'm really sorry!" she heard a gruff but concerned voice exclaim. "I was relaxin' my leg and I didn't notice ye! Are ye alright!?"
As her breathing steadied, she slowly opened her eyes to see who was talking to her. Her amber eyes locked with a set of bright blue eyes peeking just below a black hoodie. Focusing a bit more, she saw it was a fella with rather striking features, and black beard. It stirred feelings in her she'd never felt before, making her blush brightly.
"Ye alright?" he asked again, his face showing concern.

Orla couldn't speak in that moment for some reason. She just nodded slowly to indicate she was ok. Her rescuer realized he was still holding her, so he slowly sat her on the bench, the two not breaking eye contact.
"I'm really sorry 'bout that," sighed Niall.
"It's alright, it is," Orla softly replied, tucking a strand of loose hair behind her ear. "I could've been payin' better attention to my surroundin's. I just got caught up in my music and dancin', so I did."
"Yeah... I noticed," he chuckled, rubbing the back of his head. "It was pretty incredible."
"Oh," she blushed. "Thank ye very much."
The two sat there a moment in awkward silence.

"I'm not sure I've seen ye before," Orla finally broke the silence. "Are ye new to Derry?"
"Uh... no," Niall fumbled a bit. "I was born here. But... I've been away for a few years now. Just came back today actually. In fact I'll be workin' at this park startin' Monday."
"Aye, that's cracker, it is!" she exclaimed. "So we'll end seein' plenty of each other from now on, we will! What's yer name?"
     "It's... Niall," he answered, hoping she wouldn't ask for last name.
     "Orla McCool," she enthusiastically replied, stretching out her hand for a shake, which he reciprocated.

     Niall recognized that name. Michelle had mentioned it in her letters. He didn't expect her to be so... beautiful.
     "That's a beautiful name," Niall said without really thinking, blushing in the process.
     "Oh... thank ye," Orla replied, also blushing. "Mammy told me it means Golden Princess. Said it came to her when she first saw my eyes, she did."
     "It's a very apt description," he smirked, which made her blush some more.
     He didn't remember ever  being this smooth. Not that he had much experience. Fuck he wasted his teens.