Chapter 21: Livin' with Orla

Once Niall's clothes were finally dry, Gerry offered to drive him home, along with anyone else in need of ride. The rain had died down some, but it was still falling consistently. Michelle called shotgun, leaving the rest in the back. Erin and Orla sat on their fella's laps, while Clare was smushed between them.

     "This is not legal, Girls!" Clare protested.
     "Calm yer tits, shite the tights," Michelle chuckled. "Gerry isn't objectin' to it."
     "I'm not exactly happy 'bout it," Gerry retorted. "But, it's not a long drive."
     "As if Clare wouldn't wanna sit on Laurie's lap," Michelle wiggled her eyebrows.
     The wee lesbian merely made a squeak, turned red, and sunk into her seat more, getting a laugh from nearly everyone in the car.

     The Mallon house was the first stop. Erin was pouty like always having to part ways with her wee English fella. The two shared a kiss as he got out of the car.
     "Fucks sake, ye see each other nearly every day," Michelle groaned.
     "I don't see ye excited when ye have to part with Fin," Erin retorted. "An' ye see him nearly every day hi."
     Michelle didn't verbally respond, she just flipped Erin off and got out of the car.
     "See ye later then, Niall," she smiled warmly.
     "Night, Michelle," he replied with a warm smile as well.
     "Catch you later, Niall," James said with a smirk.
     "Later, ye wee English prick," Niall replied with a chuckle and wink.

     Erin decided to move up to the passenger seat, so Orla could sit next to Niall and Clare would be less nervous. The newly formed couple continued holding hands, never taking their eyes off each other and smiling broadly. Erin caught glimpses of them from the rear view mirror, and for a moment she got why Michelle groaned about her and James, but at the same time was glad her weirdo cousin found someone.

     Niall gave Gerry directions to the groundskeeper's house, which wasn't too far off from Brooke Park.
     "Thanks fer the the lift, Mr. Quinn," said Niall.
     "Not a problem, son," Gerry replied with a smile. "An' Gerry'll do just fine.
     Niall smirked at the acceptance, then turned his attention back to his new girlfriend. Girlfriend? Absolutely mad! Hadn't even been free a week, and he had himself a girlfriend!
     "See ye tomorrow then, hi," he smiled warmly and gave Orla a peck on the lips.
     "Aye, sounds cracker, it does," she smiled back.

The ride home was quiet, with nobody bothering to try and make conversation. Clare was lost in thought as she looked out the car window. She'd been living with Orla for a couple of weeks now, and it turned out much better than expected. Oh sure, she was experiencing the Quinn/McCool eccentricities on a much more frequent basis now, but she surprisingly didn't mind. Maybe it was getting to be with her friends again, or having a girlfriend, or a combination.

     Regardless, it was the happiest she'd felt since losing her Da last year. She still had her depressed moments. There were some nights Orla heard her crying, so she'd lie in bed with her for comfort. She remembers Orla asking her something on one of those nights.

     "What's it like, havin' a Da?" Orla asked.
     "Why are ye askin'?" Clare replied.
     "Cuz I never had one," Orla shrugged.
     The wee lesbian felt silly now for even asking that. She sometimes forgot this about her friend.
     "Ach! Sorry, slipped my mind," Clare frowned.
     "No worries," Orla smiled. "Not somethin' I really think about often. Mammy is grand, she is. Plus I got Uncle Gerry, Aunt Mary, an' Granda. They're all like spare parents hi. But, sometimes I wonder what it's like havin' a proper Da, I do."
     "Ye never asked Erin?" asked Clare.
     "She'd just think I'm bein' weird," replied Orla.
     "I s'pose that's possible," agreed Clare. "Ye ever ask yer Ma about who he was?"
     "No," Orla shook her head. "Been too scared to ask Mammy. Worried I'd hurt her feelins if I did."
     "Understandable," thought Clare.