Chapter 19: Gettin' to Know Ye

Morning classes at Our Lady Immaculate College went along like usual. The only real issue was Orla receiving various stares from her classmates, many of them unfriendly looking. By lunchtime, it seemed everyone was glaring at Orla and company. The quirky Derry Girl was taking it all in stride, but the others not so much.

     "Ach! Take a fuckin' picture!" Michelle shouted, which got some to look away. "Nosy wee bitches, the whole lot of 'em! Why the fuck did Sister Michael have to open her hole?"
     "It's not like we didn't know this wasn't gonna happen," frowned Clare. "Sister Michael was basically yankin' the bandage off."
     "Well it's none o' their fuckin' business," groaned Michelle.
     "Holdin' up ok, Orla?" Erin asked.
     "Aye, cracker, I am," Orla smiled in reply. "Why wouldn't I be? After school I'll get to go see Niall at the park, I will!"
     "Have ye not noticed all the shites given ye the stink eye?" Michelle asked.
     "Course I have," Orla shrugged as she ate some of her lunch. "No different from usual. We get stared at constantly for various reasons."
     "That is... actually a very valid point," said James.
     "This shit is different though," retorted Michelle. "This is a bunch of judgmental dickheads not bein' happy for Orla, just cuz my brother is..."
     "A Provo?" someone suddenly said.
     "Fuck's sake," groaned Michelle.

     The person in question was Myra Callahan, a Queen Bee (or Bitch depending on you asked) of the school. She was tall, slender figure, nice complexion, straight chestnut hair, and chocolate brown eyes. She was from a well off family, and took no issue showing off her popularity and designer clothes and accessories. She stood at the Girl's table, two lackeys standing between her, giving a smirk and a wicked glare.

     "Just fuck off, Myra!" Michelle exclaimed. "I don't wanna deal with yer shit!"
     "What's wrong, Michelle?" Myra asked condescendingly. "Upset with me speakin' the truth about yer Provo brother?"
     "His name is Niall, ye dumb bitch!" Michelle hissed.
     She stood up from her chair to face Myra, making her two lackeys step back slightly. Myra kept her smirk.
     "What happened back then was a terrible accident," Michelle continued. "Niall has served his time. So just back the fuck off!"
     "Ye gonna do somethin' 'bout it, Mallon?" Myra asked, arching an eyebrow.
"Ach! I would fuckin' love to, I would," smirked Michelle. "But I know someone else who'd love to even more."

Myra seemed confused at first, until she noticed Orla had at some point snuck up behind her. She turned to face her now, Orla giving off a more wicked grin than anyone was used to. Myra attempted to keep her composure, no way she'd let this lot intimidate her. The other Girls stood there with deer in headlights looks, but Orla was totally calm looking.
"Hello there, Myra," Orla greeted with that wicked grin. "Bout ye?"
     "Somethin' ye wanna say, McCool?" Myra asked, her voice cracking a little.
     "Not feelin' well there, Myra?" Orla asked, they're pretty sure sarcastically. "Voice has a wee crack there, it does."
     "Didn't think ye had the mental capacity for sarcasm," Myra chuckled.
     "An' I didn't think ye had the mental capacity beyond what accessories ye'll wear today," Orla retorted, making the others gasp.
     "Might just wanna step back there, McCool," Myra hissed.
     "I'm just standin' here, I am," Orla shrugged, still grinning. "Not even touchin' ye. Plenty o' space to move 'round me, there is."

     The standoff was then joined by the ever chipper Jenny Joyce and her best friend/crony, Aisling.
     "Hey, guys!" she exclaimed like usual. "How's everyone doin' on this grand day!?"
     "Shoot me in the fuckin' face," Michelle groaned under her breath.
     "Aye, but it is a grand day, Jenny," Orla replied, never taking her eyes off Myra.
     "That's cracker, it is!" Jenny exclaimed.
     "The fuck do ye want, Jenny?" Myra asked with clear annoyance in her voice, also never taking her eyes off Orla.
     "Well, as a prefect, it's my duty to make sure things are goin' smoothly," Jenny answered. "I couldn't help noticin' ye, Myra, disturbin' Orla and her friends's lunch."
     "What makes ye think I did anythin'?" Myra asked, side eyeing Jenny.
     "Well, ye are the one that approached their table first," Jenny pointed out. "Most, if not all of us, saw that. An' ye seemed to be givin' off a certain... hostile tone towards them, for no adequate reason. They've certainly ruffled some feathers b'fore, but I can't think of them doin' anythin' today. Can ye, Aisling?"
     "I can't think of anythin', Jenny," Aisling agreed.