Chapter 28: Dinner at the Mallon's

It was Sunday afternoon at Brooke Park. Orla and Niall were sitting on a bench, the quirky Derry Girl telling her fella what caused everyone to flee Jenny Joyce's house.

     "Fuckin' hell," Niall chuckled. "And this Aisling girl is Jenny's best friend?"
     "Aye, they are indeed," replies Orla. "Always together, they are. Never would've guessed such a shy thing like her would do somethin' so bold."
"Always the quiet ones," he smirked.
"Michelle said the same thing, hi," she replied.
"There's truth in that statement," he shrugged.
"S'pose so," she shrugged back.

The two sat there a moment in silence. The eldest Mallon child looked a little lost in thought.
     "Somethin' on yer mind there, hi?" Orla asked.
     "I mean... it's nothin' too serious... I think," replied Niall. "I've been invited to dinner at me family's."
     "Ach! That's grand!" she exclaimed. "Why ye lookin' so nervous about it?"
     "Cos Ryan's in town from university," he answered in a worried tone. "He's on break, plus he's here to see Michelle graduate."
"Isn't that a good thing?" she asked. "You's all haven't been together in years."
"That's the thing about it," he sighed. "Michelle's letters seemed to indicate Ryan wasn't happy with Ma and Da not lettin' anyone come see me. I figured he'd have once he went off to university."
"But he didn't?" she asked, even though she had a good feeling what the answer was.
Niall gave a simple nod, letting out another sigh.

     Orla wasn't exactly sure what to say or do in this situation, but she knew her Champion needed her. That's when an idea popped in her wee head.
     "I'll come with ye," she said with her usual enthusiastic smile.
     "What are ye on about?" Niall asked, arching an eyebrow.
     "I'll come with ye to dinner, silly," she chuckled.
"Ye'd do that fer me?" he asked slightly surprised.
"Course I would," she replied, wrapping her arms around him. "Ye're me fella!"
"Sometimes I think I should call ye MY Champion," he chuckled, giving her a peck on the head.
"I'm fine bein' yer Golden Princess, I am," she replied, giving him a peck on the cheek.

The sun was setting as the young couple made their way to the Mallon home. The eldest Mallon child took a deep breath and rang the bell. It was his younger sister who answered the door, surprised to see one of her best friends with her eldest brother.
"What are ye doin' here, Orla?" Michelle asked.
"Niall was feelin' a wee nervous about comin' over, he was," replied Orla. "I figured I'd come along for moral support."
     "What the fuck ye gotta be nervous about?" Michelle asked.
     "Ryan never came to visit, Michelle," Niall answered quietly. "Wasn't exactly sure if he's as excited to see me as the rest of you's. Am I wrong?"
    "Well, I ain't exactly asked him," Michelle admitted. "But, he knows ye're comin' over and he hasn't said anything bad so far."
      "I just needed some extra support then," said Niall. "Orla does that for me."
     Michelle noticed the two gripping their hands tighter after Niall said that. She wouldn't say it out loud, but she thought it was massively sweet.
     "Just shift yer holes in here already," she sighed and they followed her in.

     Deirdre and Kathy were in the kitchen fixing dinner, Martin was sitting in a recliner watching tv, and James was setting up the table. The wee English fella was the first to notice the new arrivals.
     "Good to see you again, Niall," he greeted with a warm smile and hug.
     "Especially when it doesn't include a bunch of rowdy wains, right?" Niall asked with a big smirk and a wink.
     "Oi! Shut yer hole," Michelle hissed. "Mammy and Daddy are still none the wiser, and I'd prefer to fuckin' keep it that way."
     "Fair enough," chuckled Niall.
     "Evening, Orla," James greeted the other guest.
     "Evenin', James," Orla replies with a little salute. "How bout ye?"
     "Doing good, you?" James casually replied.
     "Grand, so," Orla answered.
     "Aren't ye surprised to see her here?" Michelle asked her cousin.
     "After 4 years living here, I basically accept whatever happens," James shrugged.
"I honestly can't argue with that," said Michelle. "And I fuckin' hate it."
     "Where's Ryan?" Niall asked.
     "Grady was buzzin' to see him soon as he showed up," explained Michelle. "Took em to his room to show him some of his nerd shit. Dicko here's had some influence on him."
     "Not my fault he asked me to show him some movies I had," James retorted dryly.