Chapter 18: Monday Mornin' Announcements

It was Monday morning at Our Lady Immaculate College, just about an hour shy of morning announcements. Sister George Michael, the no nonsense headmistress of the school, was in her office having a chuckle while reading The Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis, when she suddenly heard a knock at her door.

"Enter!" she exclaimed.
Walking in was her assistant, Miss Mooney, looking a wee bit nervous like usual.
"Mornin', Sister Michael," Miss Mooney nervously greeted. "Some students wish to speak with ye."
"I've made it quite clear that Jenny Joyce is not permitted to speak to me b'fore mornin' announcements," Sister Michael dryly stated, never taking her eyes off her book.
"Right, well, it's not Jenny Joyce," replied Miss Mooney. "It's actually Erin Quinn and her lot. Seems they have somethin' very important to talk to ye about."
"Jesus, give me strength," said Sister Michael, not trying to be quiet as she pinched the bridge of her nose. "Very well. Send 'em in."

Miss Mooney left the room to fetch the Girls, while Sister Michael let out a long sigh and put her book down. The Girls walked in with their usual cautiousness, sticking close to each other like always. Pack animals she heard them be called on more than one occasion. As annoying as they often were, their loyalty was admirable (even with Clare's occasional grassing), not that Sister Michael would admit this.

"Mornin', Sister Michael," they said in unison.
"Girls," Sister Michael nodded. "To what do I owe the... pleasure... of yer early visit? Ye're not usually ones for early attendance."
"Well.. we all felt it was important to discuss somethin' with ye, Sister," Erin spoke up.
"About?" Sister Michael asked, arching an eyebrow in suspicion.
"It's about the dance on Saturday," Erin replied.
"I'm aware of you and the wee English fella's courtship," Sister Michael interrupted. "Fairly certain the whole school is. Whether we want to or not."
"It's not that, Sister," Clare chimed in.
"We are also aware of yer intentions of bringin' a female date," Sister Michael sighed. "Much to the chagrin of many parents."
"It's not that either, Sister!" Michelle chimed in. "It has to do with the fella Orla wants to bring!"
"What? Her Granda?" Sister Michael asked with mild confusion. "That's never been an issue b'fore."
     "It's not our Granda this time," said Erin.
     "This date is... human?" Sister Michael questioned.
     "Aye, he's human," sighed Michelle.
     "What age is he?" Sister Michael asked.
     "He's 20, Sister," replied James. "And Orla is 18, so both legal adults."
     "I'm failin' to see why ye felt the need to see me then, Girls," the nun dryly retorted.
     "He's outside if ye wanna meet 'em," said Clare.
     "Why in God's name did ye not just bring him in with ye," Sister Michael sighed.
     "Ach, fuck's sake, Girls!" Michelle exclaimed. "That's what I said for the start!"
     "Language, Miss Mallon!" Sister Michael exclaimed. "Even if it is justified. Bring him in."
      "OI! Niall!" Michelle shouted towards the door. "Shift yer hole in here!"

     Niall slowly and nervously made his way into Sister Michael's office. He had his hoodie up at first (force of habit), but immediately pulled it back. While the hardened nun had seen a good few injuries during her missionary work, it still never failed to get a reaction from her.

     "Mornin' there, Sister Michael," Niall shyly greeted, waving his right hand.
     Orla had been encouraging him not be afraid or ashamed to show it off.
     "Never had the pleasure o' meetin' ye b'bore now," Niall continued. "But I've heard many a grand story."
     "That's not surprisin'," Sister Michael replied. "An' ye are?"
     "Niall Mallon," he answered. "Michelle's big brother."
     It took the stoic nun a moment to fully grasp the situation. She of course was fully aware of the eldest Mallon child's history; as she figured most of the adult population in Derry were as well. She then saw Orla grab the young fella's hand, everything clicked.
     "I see," said Sister Michael. "So, this is the fella Orla wishes to take to the dance this Saturday?"
     "Aye, Sister Michael!" Orla exclaimed with a smile. "He's cracker, he is! Scared off some thugs fer me! He's my Champion!"