Koushi Sugawara | A Beautiful Voice

Just look at Suga and tell me you cannot say that his smile is not contagious

~*~
You lived in the island country, Japan for a living, but didn't exactly speak the language there. You've also been very close friends with Sugawara, learning about Japanese culture for years now, but still not all of them by heart.

What really caught your interest was singing, but never really sung in front of a real life person. The least that you've done was hum.

You placed a pillow underneath your chin to prop up your head, your eyes slowly squinting in slight exhaustion. You laid the opposite way on your bed to your dorm room, yet it was very comfortable to the point you didn't want to get up.

You close your eyes to rest them for a while before immediately getting interrupted by knocks at your closed door. You slightly flinched looking over at your door as excited knocks repeatedly banged on your door. You huff, forcing yourself to get up from your comfortable position, wobbling over towards the door like a zombie.

You place your loose hand on the doorknob, finding strength to crack your door halfway, finding Sugawara. You found yourself immediately clenching the doorknob as soon as you saw the setter's face. "Oh, hello Suga." You gave him a calm, yet tired smile as he gave a sweet smile back. "Y/N, I have good news for you!" Sugawara beamed with excitement, quickly handing you a paper without explaining.

You skimmed through the words on the paper and paused, finding what really caught your attention. You looked up from the paper as Sugawara saw your surprised reaction clearly, making him grin even more. "Singing contest for three hundred thousand yen?" You blinked rapidly as the setter nodded.

"Yeah! Isn't that great? You've always wanted to do singing contests ever since I met you!" Sugawara softly chuckled, letting you keep the paper. "Better start practicing now, right?" He poked your arm that was closest to him, leaning against the doorframe.

"I'll be in my dorm room if you need me. I have no doubt that you'll win this!" Sugawara slightly snickered, waving a small goodbye as he walked away from your door. You returned the wave, looking back at the paper, and reading it through again. Tryouts begin in two weeks. You decide to place this paper in a place you wouldn't forget nor lose.

~*~

A few days have passed by as the tryouts were around the corner. You've never sung in front of anyone, not even Sugawara, since you were terrified of messing up.

One afternoon, you sat in your dorm room again, the door cracked open slightly as you placed your black colored headphones on your ears as they were hooked up to your phone. Your native language by heart was Urdu, a language spoken in Pakistan.

So, you decided to speak in your language for a moment on the song that was hooked up towards your phone, closing your eyes as you rose to your feet to walk around your room and sing at the same time.

Once the song was over, you closed your mouth, slightly humming the tone. "You have a beautiful voice, Y/N." Sugawara said out of nowhere, standing by your door with his head showing. You immediately jolted with a small gasp leaving your throat. You took off your headphones, looking over at the setter with widened eyes.

"Oh, sorry did I scare you?" Sugawara laughed a bit, rubbing his gray colored hair. "Suga.. don't do that ever again, you scared the life out of me." You sigh, placing your headphones around your neck loosely, turning off your phone to stuff in your pocket.

"Sorry, sorry. I just got a little curious. But, it's true though, you have an amazing voice." Sugawara smiled. "Also, was that a different language you were speaking?" Sugawara added on, raising one of his brows with a slight grin. You paused, growing with slight embarrassment. "Um, yeah. Have I ever told you that my native language was Urdu?" You mumbled.

The setter gave a small tilt to his head. "Ur-what?" Sugawara laughed, shaking his head. "Nope, what's that?" He questioned with a blink. "It's a language in Pakistan." You explained as Sugawara nodded. "I see, that's cool! Maybe you wanna do that for the tryouts? Y'know it's in two daaaaays..." Sugawara leaned up against the doorframe once more with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I know but wouldn't they have no clue what I'm saying?" You shrugged as the setter paused with a small hum. "You're right, but.. don't you have other backup songs?" Sugawara questioned. You gave a small nod, taking a breath. "Yeah, I've been singing them in order ever since I woke up." You gave a nervous smile as Sugawara squinted his eyes.

"You should maybe take a break then." Sugawara paused, walking over towards your direction, placing his hands on your shoulders with a smile stuck on his face. "Alright?"

"No arguments here." You matched Sugawara's smile as he patted your shoulders twice before taking his soft hands off of your shoulders. Sugawara's phone vibrated in his pocket as he quickly checked. "Oh, gotta go to volleyball practice right now, I'll see you later, Y/N!" Sugawara smiled big before waving goodbye again, running off towards his dorm.

"Alright, have fun!" You quickly spoke up, watching the setter turn the corner. You look over your shoulder and right at the paper of the singing tryouts with a grin.

That 3 hundred thousand yen is in my grasp.

~*~
Fact! 300,000 yen is really 2,008.37 in US dollars!

Have a wonderful day!