21: John

(Star's POV)

Days turn into weeks and I realize that John is a very different man than I used to know. His kind and loving self has almost disappeared.

Flashback:

"I'm home!" John said as he entered the hallway. I smiled from my seat on the couch.

"Hey, baby," I said and got up. I walked over and hugged him. He hugged me back and smiled his normal goofy smile. "How was work?"

"Tiring as usual." He said. "And boring." I nodded, waiting for him to tell me the good news. "But something good happened today." He walked over to the couch and sat his stuff down. I watched him, my excitement building.

"What's that?" I asked.

"I'm getting a promotion." He said with a smile. I smiled and hugged him again.

"Congrats baby," I said and looked up at him. "You deserve it." He kissed the top of my forehead.

"There's a few issues darling." He said. I frowned.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, first, we'll have to move." He said.

"Where?" I asked. He sighed.

"Multiple places all over the world." He said. "We'll be moving at least once a month, if not more." I nodded, understanding. "Second, I'll be on missions more often. More dangerous missions. And I can't come home and talk to you about these missions either."

"So it's serious?" I asked. He nodded.

"Third, I won't be a part of the American military anymore." He said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I'll be what they call a private contractor for the British Military." He said. "Specifically the SAS. I have to go through a six-month training period. I'll also have less time at home."

"Oh," I said and looked away. "Well, that's not too bad." I looked at him again. "We can work through this." He sighed. "There's something else?" He nodded. "What?"

"Lastly, I won't be able to have kids," He said. "It's one of the requirements for this promotion. I haven't taken it yet because I wanted to talk to you first." I nodded, trying to wrap my head around this. Less time with him. No kids. Foreign country. Secrecy. Constantly moving and never being able to settle in one house. I sat down on the couch. This was a lot to take in. "I know it's a lot. Hence why I wanted to talk to you." He sat down beside me. "If you don't want me to take it, I won't. We come first. Forever and always."

"Forever and always," I repeated back. It was our signature phrase. No matter what, we would be there for each other forever and always. "I want you to take it." I looked at him. "But only if you want to. It's a good promotion, right? You wouldn't be considering it otherwise." He nodded. "So, if you want to take it, I'll be by your side. I love you, John. And we'll work through it." He smiled.

"I love you too Star." He said and kissed me.

End Of Flashback

I look up at John who holds the black chain in his hand. My legs are covered in bruises, cuts, and welts. My left shin is broken too. "You used to love me John," I say.

"I used to." He says and sets the chain down. "I have some news for you." I look up at him.

"What?" I ask. He smiles wickedly.