23: Fall

(Star's POV)

It's been almost three weeks since I've come back home. Price took me off duty so I can't help anyone out or gather intel for their missions. I haven't seen Ghost since they rescued me from John. Konig moved in and Keegan visits multiple times a day. Keegan mentioned that Ghost has been on back-to-back missions. When I asked Price about it, he waved me off. 

"Liebling?" Konig says and taps my side. I look up at him.

"Hmmm?" I hum. We're cuddling on the couch. His arms are wrapped around me as Keegan cooks. I'm wearing a pair of gray lounge pants and a matching cropped long-sleeve top. My hair is in a messy bun.

"Über was denkst du nach?" He asks

"Über was denkst du nach?" He asks. I shake my head. (Translation: What are you thinking about?)

"Nichts," I say and give him a small smile. (Translation: Nothing.)

"Lüg mich nicht an, meine Liebe." He says. I sigh. (Translation: Don't lie to me, my love.)

"Ghost," I say quietly. He nods. 

"You're worried about him?" Keegan asks from the kitchen. I look back and see Keegan washing a dish in the island counter sink. 

"Of course," I say. "I haven't seen or heard from him in weeks." He turns off the water and grabs a towel. 

"Well, did Price tell you Ghost will be back for a day?" He asks. "He's coming back this afternoon." I sit up.

"Wait, what?" I ask. He nods.

"I just got the text from Soap like ten minutes ago." He says. "Soap offered to meet you at the airfield so you can see Ghost. He lands in about four hours." I look at Konig and then at Keegan again.

"Does he even want to see me?" I ask. "It seems like he's been avoiding me and I don't know what I did wrong."

"You didn't do anything wrong," Keegan says.

"Es ist nicht deine Schuld." Konig says at the same time. I look between them. (Translation: It's not your fault.)

"But I had to do something wrong," I say and sit back down. I look at the floor. "He wouldn't be avoiding me otherwise."

"Er ist einfach ein Arsch." Konig says. (Translation: He's just an ass.)

"Yes, he is," Keegan says and goes back to cooking.

"You are all assholes," I say. "But you two aren't avoiding me. So that's why I still have my mind set on that I'm the problem. He probably doesn't even want to see me." I try to push the overwhelming thought from my mind. The thoughts of maybe he doesn't like me anymore. Maybe he got bored of me. Maybe-

"Stop that," Keegan says interrupting my thoughts. I look at him.

"What?" I ask.

"Overthinking," Konig says. I look at him.

"I wasn't...." I start to say, but stop. I know full well that they know when I'm lying. I sigh. "I can't help it."

"Go take a shower and get dressed," Keegan says. "By the time you're done, lunch will be ready." Before I can protest, he continues. "Nuh-uh. Go." I groan and get up.

"Fine," I say and walk upstairs.

✤✤✤✤✤

After my shower, I get dressed in a long-sleeve white dress and brown thigh-high boots. I keep my hair simple and pull it up into a half pony tail.

It's fall so I wanted to pick something cute but also something that would keep me mostly warm

It's fall so I wanted to pick something cute but also something that would keep me mostly warm. I walk downstairs and see Keegan plating the food. I look around for Konig but he's gone. "He went to go see Price," Keegan says. I look at him.

"Oh, okay," I say and sit down at the table. "Smells delicious." 

"Thank you." He says. "Now dig in." I look down at my plate. He made garlic butter shrimp with homemade alfredo sauce and a Caesar salad. My mouth waters just looking at it. 

After we eat, he drives me to my office building where I'm supposed to meet Soap. "Remember, it's not your fault," Keegan says as he parks. "Even Soap will tell you that. Ghost is just being an ass hole and not communicating how he feels." I look at him. "We're all like that sometimes." He sighs and looks at me. "If he treats you like shit, let me know." I raise an eyebrow.

"What are you going to do if he does?" I ask.

"Have a little...." He says and pauses. "Talk with him." I nod, not quite believing that.

"Alright," I say. He grabs me by the chin gently and kisses me. 

"You got this love." He says. I nod and get out. Soap is standing by the entrance. 

"You ready to go?" He asks, his Scottish accent coming out thick. I nod and close the door, walking over to him. He opens the door for me and lets me in. "I need to grab something and then we can go." He walks off and leaves me in the lobby alone. It's after hours so no one is here right now. He comes back after a few minutes with Riley, Ghost's dog. 

"Riley!" I say and smile. Riley barks at me and licks my hand. I lean down and give him some pets. "It's been a while." I talk to Riley as if he's a human. He stares at me with pure love in his eyes. Soap chuckles.

"Alright, let's go." He says. We walk outside and to his truck.

✤✤✤✤✤

We wait patiently in the building near the airfield. We'll be able to see when his plane lands. Riley lays down on the floor near my feet. Soap and I stay quiet, watching the airfield. After what seems like forever, we see his plane land. All three of us get up. I'm quicker than both of them. It's probably due to my nerves. I walk outside as the plane comes to a halt. About ten minutes later, the cargo door opens and he steps out. He doesn't notice me but notices Riley and Soap right away. He walks over to Soap and gives him a manly hug and gives Riley a few pets.

"Ghost?" I ask. He jerks and looks up at me. 

"Star?" He asks. "What are you doing here?"

"I needed to see you," I say and step toward him. "I haven't heard from you in weeks."

"I've been busy." He says. His voice is filled with no emotion. I look at Soap.

"Can we have a minute alone?" I ask him. Soap nods and walks away with Riley. I look at Ghost again.

"Did I do something wrong?" I ask him. He doesn't answer. I nod, understanding. "Alright. I understand." I try not to let my tears fall. "Goodbye Ghost. I'm done." I turn and walk away from him. I keep my tears in until I get inside and hide in the girl's bathroom. I lock the door and slide to the floor. I choke out a sob as I start to cry, fumbling with my phone to call Keegan to come get me. He's fallen out of love with me.

✤✤✤✤✤

Word count: 1189