What's the Deal with Nova Blade?

*slams down non-existent coffee cup*

Because my mind's in shambles/tangles to the point it thinks its fanon is canon (among other things) and the fact that actual canon gives us even less definite info on him than it does Violet, there's going to be a lot more reading into things and inference making and HC reference/elaboration here over any semblance of canon. Like a LOT.

Don't like it for some reason (ie. "the curtains are literally just blue, it's not that deep")? Apologies, but it's not like the Neon batch has any actual lore pages to go off of and I had to think of something to at least try to build up to why is is who he is and make him and his motivations feel less like cardboard.

Also, personal speculation may or may not be the literal point of this book, so if you're the type of person just mentioned that's on you for clicking.

If you're not, you have successfully passed the vibe check. :D

Now let's start with what we can actually glean from canon (Neon Arc-wise):

1. C!Nova is shown to be quite caught up in his deluded vision as a benevolent protector who so unfortunately has to deal with the evils of the world the hard way. (*coughs in Knight Templar*)

2. He's always wanted to be a hero - which aside from all the thrills and joys of doing the right thing and being powerful enough to make a difference, he also seems to correlate with admiration and respect.

3. He even admits he desires said admiration and respect.

4. He also admits that he doesn't fit the pre-set expectations of basically everyone, much to his and their chagrin, as according to them he "doesn't act right" and in turn he's tired of them telling him to do so.

5. After being freed from the Corruption's influence, he beats himself up over getting all wrapped up in it in the first place.

6. Though if we want to count GR in, he seems to be quite fond of donning his mask - to the point that when he doesn't have it he feels genuine pangs of embarrassment for daring to show his face.

7. On the topic of GR again, he seems to be okay with the Summoner in GW (thanks and compliments them) but sings a way different tune in GR (low-key ticked and annoyed with them).

So what can we get from all this?

I feel it's safe to say that if the story actually had more to it and wasn't as narratively thin as an onion skin, Nova would most likely be a product of a (mostly) emotionally neglected childhood.

Sure, he could just be considered a narcissist, but the thing is that rarely anybody's actually born one - narcissism (NPD) is said to stem from a number of factors, one of which is either abnornally high- or low- self-esteem in childhood. In the case of low self-esteem, the self-aggrandization and self-serving tendencies associated with the condition are usually a way to cope with internalised feelings of intense self-loathing or uselessness. These feelings are usually planted by a cold, unloving, judgemental, or downright neglectful environment/home life where nothing they do is ever considered good enough and they aren't worth the effort.

And considering the bit about expectations and the fact he feels he has to hide himself behind masks and armor and barriers to appear "strong enough" to actually be taken seriously instead of brushed off immediately, I'd say he's definitely the low self-esteem type. Constantly craving love and validation from parental-esque figures who are utterly emotionally unavailable (most likely the other faction leaders, possibly even Violet to an extent) and ultimately having to search for that kind of attention elsewhere or use different tactics (which eventually cumulates into the form of a city-wide outburst in his case) does things to a kid.

(I added Violet as a possible but lesser influence because despite her seeming like she'd be the most understanding of the bunch, I feel as though even with her best efforts to be otherwise she'd have her occasional faults with trying to grasp the emotional weight of a situation and act accordingly - apparently being a Leader inherently comes with some degree of emotional maladjustment/detachment baggage. Go figure.)

Anyway, now onto his inconsistent behavior toward the Summoner.

This is one of those things that's really a result of bad writing, several mistakes, and zero communication amongst the writers, but it actually sounds somewhat cohesive once you add/make up extra context and spin it a certain way.

Imagine this: You've been vying to prove your worth for years. To finally show those that doubt you that hey, you CAN do this whole gig right! They can trust you to be powerful and skilled and dedicated to your work just like they've always wanted you to be! Years of training and suffering and about one to two VERY bad decisions later you're nearly there.

And then some practical amateur in comparison struts in and takes that away, along with whatever pride and confidence you were starting to have.

Granted, you realize it was all the product of villainous manipulation, and you're actually super grateful that someone finally cared enough about you to step up to the plate and free you from yourself when it seemed nobody else would. Even if they were a complete stranger.

ESPECIALLY because they were a complete stranger.

And so you find yourself quite taken with them and their kindness.

On the other hand, however, things don't look so keen. For starters, them stopping you set you up for a world of trouble that could've been avoided if they just didn't.

And sometimes you impulse wish that's what happened instead, if only to salvage your own broken pride. You know it's wrong to feel this way, and you don't like when you do, but you just can't help it sometimes.

Plus, getting beat out by a far less experienced person is not only damaging to your reputation but also EMBARRASSING. Especially if most of the said people you were trying to impress insist you should've done better instead of asking about your health or safety.

And speaking of those people - all those "facts" they've ingrained in you about weakness over the years? This mysterious stranger defies all of them (and they do it hella well for what it is) and you're honestly not sure what to think anymore.

In short, they've absolutely wrecked you in every possible way, both good and bad.

And you have VERY mixed feelings about it.

Now how's all that for a lore page?

TL;DR: He severely needs therapy (and so do I because I'm terminally online).