Chapter 1

Everything had started at the beginning of summer. The pogues only mission had been to have a good time, all the time. But things went very differently, very fast. Hurricane Agatha had struck the Outer Banks and well, she had been a real bitch. It had led the pogues to find a sunken boat. To find a compass that once belonged to Malous and John Bs father, to be followed and shot at and in the end, Malou found herself on a treasure hunt for the Royal Merchant. She knew about this ship. Of course, she did. Her father had used to tell her the story as bedtime stories. She had watched him look for that wreck for her whole life. She had watched how his obsession grew and how someday, he had lost himself in it.

Unlike John B, who had always looked up to their father and had always been very interested in his work, Malou had started to dislike what their father did. She didn't like how he spent more time looking for a wreck than spending it with his children. How he just disappeared for days, leaving them alone at the Château at a young age. How her and John B had to work a lot to pay the bills, because their father neglected his real jobs for his obsession. At the point her father had went missing, Malou and him hadn't been on the best terms and she never had the chance to make up with him. Of course, she missed him. But she couldn't deny, that she felt angry at him. That he lost himself in this obsession, that he took it so far, that he never got back home to them.

And now, there she was. Following his footsteps. And she hated it. She had seen this film before. And she didn't like the ending. Much to her dislike, her brother and her friends were really into the treasure hunt. The G-game, JJ would call it. Not wanting to let her friends down, Malou agreed to find the gold and to her surprise, they did find it. After being followed, shot at, solving a lot of riddles, breaking into houses, translating old languages and watching how her brother fell in love with a kook, they really found the gold.

After they had found it, they had spent the whole day trying to melt it down. It wasn't perfect, but it was enough and they were close to go full kook. To get their minds off for a little and celebrate their victory, the pogues decided to have a little party at the Château. That's where we find Malou and the pogues.

"No, no, no! Why would you do that, Malou?", John B groaned, when he watched his sister take a hit of the joint that JJ was smoking. With big eyes, Malou shrugged her shoulders and innocently blew out the smoke again. JJ chuckled and took the joint back, when Malou handed it to him.

"I'm stressed.", Malou answered unimpressed and John B rolled his eyes.

"Doesn't she smoke usually?", Sarah asked and watched how John B shook his head as he still tried to kill his sister by looking at her.

"She does, but she gets emotional as fuck, when she mixes weed and alcohol.", John B explained and Sarah looked back at Malou who smiled back at her cheekily.

"You gave her, you babysit her.", John B threatened JJ and pointed his finger at him. JJ nodded his head as he blew out some smoke by himself. He never minded to take care of Malou, whether she was sad, high or sick.

"Last time, she cried over never seeing a baby shark.", Pope said and heard the pogues laugh right after. Sarah leant her head against the shoulder of John B, but her eyes never left the girl with hazel eyes, the nose piercing that looked absolutely naturally on her and her brown, wavy hair. Of course, Sarah felt very comfortable around John B. Pope was a very kind and smart person, JJ spoke up whatever was on his mind, so he was very easy to be around with and Kiara, well – they still worked on their friendship, but even though it was hard sometimes, Sarah at least knew, where she stood with her. It was different with Malou though. It wasn't, that Sarah felt uncomfortable around her, she just felt, like she didn't really know her yet. She wasn't sure, if Malou trusted her and what she thought of Sarah being with her brother. As the night went on, a few rounds of never have I ever and truth or dare, gave Sarah a little insight of Malou. While the alcohol slowly showed it actions on the pogues, the weed slowly showed it actions on Malou, just like John B had called it. JJ and Kiara seemed to enjoy the childish state Malou was in, while John B could only shake his head at his sister.