Chapter 8

When the clock struck midnight, Malou was still held at the police office. In the first three hours, Deputy Thomas asked her all kinds of questions, that Malou wasn't able to answer. Even, if she had wanted to. After that, he had spent another hour of trying to force her to call John B. In the end, he took her phone, like a grumpy child. Even though Malou was sure, that they still ignored her, she hoped that in the meantime, none of the pogues would text her. Malou was sure, that John B was innocent. But the fact, that she had no idea, what had happened and where he was, slowly made her go crazy. At midnight, Deputy Shoupe walked into the office. Quickly jumping off her seat, Malou walked up to him.

"Shoupe! I want to know what's going on right now!", she yelled at the man and watched how he rubbed his temples.

"Mary-Louise, I don't have time for this right now.", he mumbled and started to walk off, when Malou followed him.

"Well I don't have time for this shit either, but still I am held here for what?! I didn't do anything! I want my stuff back and leave, you have no right to hold me here!", Malou angrily shouted and stepped back a little, when Shoupe turned around to her.

"Listen to me, kid. Your brother killed the Sheriff. We have every goddamn right to hold you here. And if your brother being a killer isn't reason enough, then I will gladly call the DCS to take care of you, as long as your brother is on the run. Alright? You don't have any rights right now and your brother definitely gambled away the sympathy that we had with you. So, you better stay quiet. And you better stay here as long as we want you to, before you get yourself in trouble." Malou had never seen the Deputy that angry. His voice was sternly, nearly even dark and Malou felt the need to gulp.

"My brother didn't kill the Sheriff.", Malou just said and Shoupe raised his eyebrows.

"If you know something, you better tell me right now."

"I don't know anything, but he would never do that!", Malou said desperately, not understanding, how anyone could even think, that John B could hurt someone. Without any word, Deputy Shoupe turned around and walked away.

"Shoupe! You know he didn't do it! He would never hurt someone! You know him!", Malou called after him, but wasn't sure, if he even heard her, as he left to another room. Sighing, Malou went back to her seat, where Deputy Thomas had told her to wait. Two hours ago. At two o'clock, Malou had enough. Lifting her head off the table, she looked up.

"Can I at least call someone? In the movies, they always have a free call.", Malou asked Deputy Plumb, who was supposed to look after Malou. In fact, she was playing around on her phone.

"Sure. Who do you want to call?", Deputy Plumb asked mockingly and Malou clenched her jaw. Calm down, Malou, she told herself, thinking that insulting a Deputy probably would only make things worse.

"I want to call my friend.", Malou said and Deputy Plumb gestured her, that she was allowed to go over. Walking up to the phone, Malou began to dial his number, when Deputy Plumb suddenly got off her seat and walked over, leaning against the wall right next to Malou. Of course, Malou thought and rolled her eyes, making the Deputy grin devilishly. Nervously playing around with the wire of the phone, Malou waited for someone to pick up.

"Hello?", a voice suddenly sounded and Malou quickly straightened her back.

"Pope! It's me, Malou. Don't hang up, please!", she nervously spoke, afraid, that Pope was still mad at her. Of course, he was still mad at her, but Malou had hoped, that he wasn't as mad as Kiara was. She would probably ignore Malou for two more years.

"Malou?! Where the fuck are you? We called you like a hundred times, John B is..."

"Shut up! Don't say anything, Pope. I'm at the police station. They got me here this afternoon, saying that John B killed Sherriff Peterkin. Look, don't say anything. Don't call me, don't send me texts, they have my phone. I know he didn't do it. Tell him, I know that.", Malou rambled and looked up to see the Deputy not being amused. Before Malou could say another word, Deputy Plumb grabbed the phone and ripped it out of Malous hands, hanging up the call.

"That was really stupid.", she said sternly and Malou shrugged her shoulders.

"You won't let me go anyway.", Malou hissed and went back to sit down, going back to wondering, what the hell was going on. How did John B get into this mess? Where was he? Was he hurt? Where were the pogues? Would JJ do something stupid to save John Bs ass? Probably. Were Kiara and Pope calm enough to find a solution? Did anyone even know the truth? What had happened?

The next hours felt like a nightmare to Malou. Things started to get out of hand and from the information that Malou caught from the conversations at the office, she knew, that John B was in big trouble. Nobody spoke to Malou. Nobody really cared about her, but also wouldn't let her leave. Some assistant from the office had brought Malou breakfast and lunch. All the rushing, the talking and the yelling slowly made Malou feel, like she got insane. When it got dark, Malou lifted her head to look at the clock. At that point, she had been there for 24 hours. She was sure, that this wasn't legal. But what could she do about it? Shoupe was right. If they wanted, they could easily find a reason to keep her there. Or worse, call the DCS, who would definitely take her with them. Placing her arms on the table, Malou rested her head on them. Hours passed and Malou noticed, how the police station seemed to calm down. More and more deputies left, leaving the office silent. When the door opened, she lifted her head. A young Deputy stood in the doorway, looking at Malou with pity in his eyes.

"Ms. Routledge, I need you to come with me."