Chapter 28

"Hey, I have an idea.", Malou said, after they had sat on the cross for a while and waited for some news on Pope.

"Let's tie the tow ropes around the cross and pull it out with the Twinkie. At least then we can hide it somewhere, until we come up with a plan.", Malou suggested and John B thought about it for a moment, before he nodded.

"Doesn't sound too bad. Wait here, I'll get the ropes.", he said and watched how Malou nodded in agreement. John B left the church and walked down the path, where they had parked the Twinkie earlier. He climbed inside the van and grabbed the ropes they had used to pull it out of the marsh. He walked back, only to see, that Malou wasn't alone anymore. The girl stood right in front of the church, looking at John B with fear in her eyes. Renfield stood right next to her. His left hand kept the arms of his sister behind her back and with his right hand, he pointed a gun at her head. Rafe stood a few feet away from them with crossed arms and a smirk playing on his lips. Disappointed, but not surprised, John B thought to himself and let his arms fall to his sides.

"Let her go.", John B snapped and watched how Rafe exchanged a look with Renfield.

"Give us the ropes.", Renfield said and lifted his chin as he gestured to whatever John B held in his hands. John B knew, that they didn't have a chance. They didn't have a weapon and he couldn't fight them alone. Also, this was Rafe and Renfield in front of him. They both were capable of things that John B wouldn't even do in his worst nightmares. If Limbrey had been there, John B had tried to think of a plan, maybe even to make a deal, but this was hopeless. If they wouldn't play after their rules, they would easily kill Malou and him. In silence, John B surrendered. He walked over and handed Renfield the ropes. Once he held them in his own hands, he let go off Malou and shoved her forward, so that John B had to catch her from falling.

"Get the others and take care of the cross.", Renfield said and threw one of the Ropes at Rafe who easily caught it. While Rafe waved over some men armed with bows and arrows and walked inside the church, Renfield walked up to the twins. With the gun pointing at their heads, Renfield told them to sit down. He knelt down and pulled and teared on them aggressively, until their backs faced each other and he could tie their hands together with the second rope.

"Seriously? What do you think we're going to do?", Malou muttered and winced, when the man pulled the rope tighter.

"Do you kids ever stay quiet?", he asked in return, before he stood up again and left. In hopeless silence, Malou and John B couldn't do anything but to watch how they stole the cross right in front of their eyes. Once they had left, Malou exhaled deeply and let her head fall back, accidently hitting the head of her brother.

"Ouch.", he complained and shuffled around awkwardly.

"Well, this is just great.", Malou muttered and looked around, hoping to find anything or anyone that could help them.

"It was your stupid idea to stay here.", John B reminded her and Malou quickly turned her head to her side and wiggled her hands around.

"Ok, so what? I didn't know, that they followed us right from the start! Who could have known, that they had waited already.", Malou defended herself and tried to free herself from her muttering and complaining brother. As slowly, a very sibling likely argument broke out and they both just wanted to fight each other, Malou suddenly froze.

"Wait, I have an idea. I think I can slip my hands out, if we stand up."

"Ok. On three. One, two... three!" With that, the both of them pressed their backs against each other and tried to stand up. On their third try, they made it, only to realize, that their hands were still tied.