Chapter 31

3 weeks. 3 weeks of being held captive by the Camerons. Ok, to be fair, it wasn't that bad, but still, Malou definitely wasn't in Guadeloupe by her free will. After she had spent five days in a hospital, where they had to remove her spleen, Rose had taken her to a house on the beach. It was in the middle of nowhere, miles and miles away from anything you could call civilization. Malou had no chance to escape. With her scar still hurting and her body still recovering, she would not make it to the next city. Not to mention, that Ward would probably sent someone to kidnap her again, if she would try to escape.

Speaking of Ward, he had been in a coma for about a week, until he had woken up. At her fifth day at the Camerons house, Malou had been called for dinner, where she had met him for the first time again. They had all sat together and Ward had told Malou, that eventually, they would find a way to get her back to the Outer Banks. Of course, he didn't trust her enough to send her back just yet, knowing, that she would tell the cops, that he was still alive and tell them his location. So, as long, as he still recovered, he would not let her go. Not, until he was fine to flee again. Or, until he had something valuable enough, with that he could buy Malous silence. He had tried to give her the cross in return for her promise not to say anything, but Malou had wanted something else. She had asked him to find the pogues and had promised, that if he would find them, she would go back to the Outer Banks with them and never tell anything about what happened at the boat and that Ward Cameron was alive.

Ward was fine with that. He had already sent his henchmen to find the pogues, since his own daughter was missing as well, but so far, they hadn't been successful. With each passing day, Malou lost a little more hope to ever see her friends again. Every day, she would sit at the beach and stare at the ocean for hours. On good days, she made up stories in her mind on where the pogues would be. She'd imagine them together on some Caribbean island. JJ and John B would start a surf school, while Kie and Sarah would open a smoothie bar. Pope would take care of all the financial stuff, they would build him his own office. When the sun set, they would all sit at the beach together with a cocktail in their hands and stare at the ocean, just like Malou did. At other days, Malou wondered, if they were even alive. She wondered what had happened on that lifeboat and if they had made it to land. On her worst days, Malou thought of JJ. How she had pushed him off the boat and how she would never see him again to tell him, how sorry she was. How she would never be able to hug and kiss him again. How their time had been way too short. She had wanted a lifetime with him, but now, she would spend the rest of her life trying to remember him. Trying to remember their last kiss, trying to remember his last words or trying to remember how he smelled or his voice sounded.

There was only one thing, that kept her sane. A person, to be exact. Wheezie. Even though she had gone through a lot of traumatic experiences herself, Wheezie managed to make Malou feel better. In fact, they both managed to spend each other a little comfort. They talked a lot. About Sarah and about the pogues. About their lives on the Outer Banks. They talked about the future, but also about their past. They also talked about irrelevant things. They discussed their favourite Taylor Swift songs and argued about who was the better brother, Stefan or Damon. Even though Wheezie was still a child, they became good friends.

"Pack a bag, we're leaving for a few days.", a voice pulled Malou out of her thoughts and she frowned, before she looked over her shoulder to see Rafe standing in the doorway. Knitting her eyebrows and pulling a disgusted face, Malou shook my head.

"Fuck off.", she answered and put her head back onto the pillow, showing him, that she was done with the conversation.

"You can either come with me and get out of here for a few days, or you can stay here with Ward and Rose for god knows how long.", Rafe said again and Malou rolled her eyes.