Chapter 30

After what felt like hours of shock, panic, fear and sadness, the pogues had eventually reached a deserted island. They were lost. In all kinds of ways. The shock and fear sat deep in their bones, their hearts felt heavy and their minds were pure chaos. Where were they? How would they make it home? Was Malou alive? If yes, where would they take her? Could they even survive on this island?

The girls silently sat at the beach, staring ahead. Sarah hugged her legs tightly, still shaking from the events that had happened. Kiara seemed to stare ahead emotionless and the girl that had turned out to be Cleo, tried to process whatever she had just gotten into. John B and Pope paced around the beach to pick up some wood to make a bonfire. JJ stood with his feet inside the water and stared at the ocean. He hadn't moved an inch since they got there.

"He needs to get out of the water and warm himself up.", Pope eventually said, after they had managed to make a small fire. The sun was about to set and JJ still stood frozen in his place. Sarah instantly lowered her head, feeling her heart breaking just by the thought of what JJ must be going through.

"I tried to talk to him a hundred times now.", Kiara said as she watched the blonde boy staring at the ocean, like his life depended on it. Pope and Sarah both looked at John B, who watched his best friend intensely.

"Fine.", he gave in and stood up from his spot next to Sarah. He walked up to JJ slowly, stopping right next to him, feeling the water reach his ankles.

"You should come to the fire.", John B just said and looked at JJ. For a moment, John B wasn't even sure, if JJ was still alive. He didn't move one muscle, he didn't even blink. He only stared ahead.

"Come on, man. We need you, alright? We need to think of a plan how to get off this island, how to get home.", John B said carefully and placed a hand on JJs shoulder. Suddenly, JJ turned around quickly, shoving off John Bs hand angrily.

"You really think I care about any of that, right now?! I'm sick of you and your bullshit, John B! All of this would have never happened, if you would have listened to her! And now she's the one who got hurt and all you think about is how we get home?!", JJ shouted angrily and pushed John B away from him. The pogues instantly got to their feet and walked down the beach.

"You're sick of my bullshit?! Fuck you, JJ! Of course, I'm worried about Malou, alright? I'm scared and I'm sad, but we can't help her right now! Not when we're here! So yes, I think of how to get off this island so we can find her. Stop telling me how to take care of my sister. She's my sister!", John B shouted back and walked back up to JJ.

"But she's my girlfriend!", JJ shouted back and angrily threw his hands in the air. John B and the rest of the pogues all froze in their places and stared at JJ in disbelief. JJ turned around again, he breathed heavily and his fingers pulled at his own hair.

"What?", John B asked coldly, making JJ look at him again. John B stared at him with a cold expression. Not anger, not disappointment, no confusion. Nothing. No emotion. JJ didn't know how to reply. He didn't want to talk about this, he didn't want to talk at all.

"Fucking hell, what are you saying, JJ?", John B yelled again and shoved JJ, who stumbled backwards. In the background, John B could hear Sarah call his name, telling him to stop, but he didn't care.

"I'm saying – I'm saying, that we're in love, alright? Malou and I are together. I love her and she loves me, too.", JJ explained and glared at John B. His voice was quieter than before, but it sounded harsh. There wasn't really anger, maybe a hint of protection and defence.

"What? When did that happen?", Kiara suddenly asked confused and JJ turned to look at her. She seemed disappointment, maybe even a little angry as she crossed her arms over her chest. JJ didn't answer. He looked at Pope for rescue, knowing, that Pope had known the whole time.