Chapter 22

The pogues were back together and they were finally back on the Outer Banks. They decided, that for one night, they would forget about everything. Nobody knew, that John B and Sarah were back. It was their chance to be together in peace for just one night, before the war would continue. The reunion had been big on the boat. Tears of happiness and cheers of joy had been shared, once they had been in safety. The way back home had been filled with their stories and once they had reached the Château, the pogues had a great time of drinking, smoking, talking, laughing, singing and playing games. For a few hours, everything was perfect.

When Malou got up to get another beer, she saw John B standing in front of the big tree, that now represented his memorial. She walked up to him and silently stood next to him.

"Nice art project.", John B said with a smirk and Malou chuckled.

"Yeah, it was JJs idea."

"It probably killed the tree, though.", John B remarked and Malou giggled.

"Yeah, probably. I might have also buried some of your belongings. If you ever look for some certain bracelets and bandanas, you might have to dig." John B chuckled and wrapped his left arm around the girls shoulder, pulling her into his side.

"So, I called in Code Pink. Now, that I'm here, how can I make up?", John B asked and Malou thought about it for a moment while she wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Actually, there is something.", Malou eventually said and pulled away from their hug.

"Shoot.", John B answered and looked down on his sister, who seemed to look past him.

"I can't ask you for that yet, so can I pull a wildcard? I already forgave you, but you're still in my debt until I ask you for the wildcard.", Malou said with a grin and John B frowned a little, before he agreed to her request.

"Alright. Come on now, let's grab another beer.", John B said with a smile and put his hands in his pockets, before he turned around and walked back to the Château. Malou followed him and for just that night, everything was fine. For one night, she wasn't scared. For just one night, she didn't worry. The pogues didn't want the night to end, so it had been a long night. Thinking that, if they wouldn't go to sleep, it would stay like that. But in the end, they did fall asleep and the next morning came down faster, then they could have imagined. Malou woke up to the sound of sirens. Once she came back to her senses, she could hear the cops talking over a megaphone, telling John B to come outside. Within a second, Malou was wide awake. She jumped off her bed and ran into the hallway. Right across her room, the door to John Bs room was already open. John B stood in the doorway with Sarah clinging to his arm.

"I'll distract them and you can leave through the window.", JJ suddenly spoke and Malou looked to her right to see JJ standing in the hallway with his back pressed against the wall.

"They are here, JJ. Don't you think there is someone waiting at every window?", Sarah said and JJ shrugged his shoulders.

"We know you are in there, John B. You better come outside, or we will come inside.", Shoupe said again and Malou shared a look with her brother. John B nodded slightly, but Sarah and JJ hopped on to it quickly.

"John B, no!", Sarah pleaded and pulled at his hand, when he slowly walked to the main room. JJ was quick to follow him. He grabbed a kitchen knife from the counter and moved in front of his friend.

"JJ, what the hell?!", Kiara whisper shouted from where she and Pope hid behind the kitchen counter.

"Alright, we see you, boy. Come outside with your hands up.", Shoupe said, once the pogues were in their sight.