Chapter 16

"Whatever was going on between you two yesterday, I'm glad you fixed it.", Kiara said, when her, Malou and JJ waited inside the truck for Pope to come back. He was supposed to plant the phone inside Gavins car, while the rest of the pogues waited inside the truck of Kiaras father just down the street.

"Believe me, me too.", JJ said in a suspicious voice to which Kiara frowned and Malou unobtrusively smacked his arm. JJ turned his head to smirk at Malou, making the girl shake her head in disbelief. Before the conversation could go any further, the door to the passenger seat opened and Pope got back inside the car.

"Alright, let's freak him out.", Pope said and Kiara nodded, before she turned her body a little, so she could look better at Malou and JJ in the backseats.

"Ok, should I change my voice somehow? Like that, maybe?", she asked in a British accent, just to look into confused faces.

"Definitely not like that.", JJ answered and Kiara shrugged her shoulders.

"Fine. Maybe like batman?", she asked in a deep voice, which seemed to convince JJ and Pope as they both nodded her heads at her.

"Are you serious? Batman?", Malou whispered frowning, thinking, that this was the most stupid idea ever. Either way, Kiara dialled his number by disguising her own phone number. Putting him on speaker, the pogues waited for him to pick up.

"Hello?", a voice suddenly filled the silent car and the pogues looked at each other. After Pope nodded at her encouragingly, Kiara cleared her throat.

"We know, that Rafe Cameron killed Sheriff Peterkin and we know, that you witnessed it.", she said, without changing her voice at all.

"Who is this?", Gavin asked with a nervous voice and Pope gestured her to end the call. Kiara on the other hand, thought, that he needed to be really scared, so that their plan would work out.

"We know the truth. We saw you on the runway and how you flew the plane to the Bahamas, after witnessing the murder of Sheriff Peterkin by Rafe Cameron.", she stated again and listened to Gavins nervous questions, before she hung up the phone.

"Alright, now we wait.", Pope said and that's what they did. They didn't have to wait for too long, before they watched how Gavin walked out of his house and got into his car. Over Popes phone, they heard how he got inside the car and mumbled something, before he spoke up.

"Ward, someone's knows about Rafe.", Gavin said nervously and for a while, the pogues listened to the men argue about what to do. Ward tried to calm Gavin down, who seemed anything but calm. He asked for more money, since he had kept the murder weapon, that Ward had asked him to get rid of. In the end, the both men agreed on meeting up, so Gavin would give the gun back to Ward and get more money for it.

"Follow him!", Malou told Kiara, when Gavins car was about to leave. Quickly, Kiara started the car and tried to follow him without being too close to him. At a construction site in a lonely area, his car suddenly stopped and he got out of it.

"Let's park on the other side of the building.", Pope said and Kiara nodded, when she drove the street further down to park the car in a safe distance from Ward and Gavin. It had started raining heavily on their way to their meeting point and the pogues had trouble to get to the construction site without slipping and making noises.

"Let's get up there, we can walk through the building.", JJ suggested and helped Malou and Kiara up the construction, before he climbed on top of it. As they sneaked around the unfinished walls, they suddenly heard someone argue.

"Get down!", Pope whispered and everyone immediately ducked as they sneaked a little further, until they could see the men. They were arguing loudly on a level above the pogues. The heavy rain made it hard for them to see what was actually going on, but they heard every word clearly.

"We should film that.", Malou suggested silently and saw Pope nod, before he pulled out his phone and recorded the men.

"That's all I could get for today. I will give you the rest as soon as possible.", Ward said and threw a bag in front of Gavin. Gavin took the bag off the ground and looked inside, looking clearly unhappy.

"That's not even half of it!", he complained and Ward angrily threw his hands in the air. Arguing about the money, Ward eventually asked him for the gun, that Gavin refused to give him. Trying to get the gun, a fight between the men broke out. Once Ward took the gun from Gavin violently, he stepped back and desperately pulled at his own hair.

"You shouldn't be so greedy! Big John was just as greedy.", Ward shouted at Gavin, who slowly got back up on his feet and seemed to spat some blood onto the ground.

"If you're not giving me the money I want, I will tell the cops the truth about what you and your son really did on the runway.", Gavin threatened the man in front of him, who just nodded his head. He mumbled something, that the pogues couldn't fully understand, before he pointed the weapon at Gavin and shot him. Malou squealed at the sound of the gunshot and JJ immediately put his hand over her mouth as he pulled her back into his chest.

"Oh my god.", Kiara whispered, as they watched Gavins body collapse to the ground and Ward walking towards them, to get off the building.

"Shit, go, go, go!", Pope whisper shouted and pulled at his friends, so they would finally start moving. Trying not to slip, they ran across the building, until they got back to the other side. JJ was the first to jump back down to the ground to help the others off. Pope was next, holding on to the wall and letting his body down slowly, when suddenly, a noise startled the both girls, that still were up on the first floor. Kiara startled and accidently stepped on Popes hands. He hissed in pain and let go off the wall, falling down to the ground with a loud thud. Scared for her life, Kiara just jumped off with the help of JJ. While Pope slowly got off the ground, Kiara landed next to him. They all looked at each other in shook, when they heard something crush underneath Kiaras feet.

"No! No, no, no!", Pope exclaimed, as he looked down to see his phone completely crushed.

"Fucking hell, Kie!", JJ complained and Malou watched, how her friends started to discuss.

"Can someone please help me down here?!", Malou interrupted them with weak knees and felt, like she was going to pass out. Her heart was racing way too fast and her stomach felt, like it had flipped. Sitting down, she let her legs dangle down the wall and held on to Popes and JJs arm they reached out for her, to let down safely.

"Are you ok?", JJ asked concerned, when Malou landed on the ground and her legs seemed to give in.

"No, JJ! I just saw someone get shot!", Malou said angrily and when the picture of Gavins dead body flashed in front of her eyes again, her body gave in. Quickly pushing JJ off of her, Malou turned around and threw up right in front of her feet.

"Oh shit.", JJ mumbled and suddenly found himself in a surreal situation. Malou throwing up next to him while insulting him for whatever reasons and Kiara and Pope still arguing about the crushed phone. Ward was probably after them or had left the place long ago.

"Ok, shut it everyone! Kiara, call the cops and an ambulance. Malou, pull yourself together, for gods sake! And Pope, just try to fix the fucking phone!", JJ suddenly busted out and pulled at his wet hair. While Kiara and Pope did what he said, Malou looked at him angrily.

"Pull myself together?! I fucking hate y-", she cursed at him, before she threw up again. Malou eventually gave in to her shaking knees and weak body and slowly sat down on the wet street. She listened to her friends trying to get the phone to work and still arguing about it, until the cops and the ambulances arrived.

Gavin and the gun were nowhere to be found. Malou could hear Shoupe say something about not enough proof and instantly knew, that all of that was for nothing. While the pogues argued with the Sheriff, Malous mind drifted off. She sat there in the rain, questioning if things would ever be good again. Or at least better. Or maybe, just less painful.