Chapter 26

The next morning, Sarah had shown up at the Château telling the pogues that Rafe and Limbrey had found a map in Tanny Hill and that they were on the way to get the cross. Malou still hadn't changed her opinion. She had stood her ground and had made clear, that she wouldn't be a part of this. JJ had wanted to stay with her, but Malou had told him to help his friends. Even if he didn't admit it, Malou knew, that JJ was hurt by John Bs behaviour and she didn't want Kiara and Pope to be mad at him, too, just because of her. Malou had convinced him, that she was fine with him helping the others as she had a shift at the Wreck anyway. That had been a few hours ago. In the middle of her shift, Malou suddenly felt her phone vibrate. Ignoring the first call of whoever had called her, Malou kept working. When her phone wouldn't stop vibrating, she eventually pulled it out of her back pocket. Sighing at the picture of Kiara on her display, Malou quickly checked if anyone needed her and then walked to the restroom.

"Jeez, stop blowing my phone!", Malou greeted Kiara, before she heard a lot of muffled noises, arguing and shouting.

"Malou! We really need your help, ok? The Twinkie is kind of drowning.", Kiara said and hushed the others who seemed to still argue.

"Even if I wanted to, I'm working!", Malou reminded her and rubbed her temple with her left hand.

"I know, ok? Look, we know where the cross is and we have to be there before Limbrey finds out. We're so close to win, Malou. It's just this one thing and then it will be over, I promise. If you help us, we can get it done today." Malou closed her eyes and rested her head against the wall as she sighed.

"What do you want me to do?"

"The Twinkie is stuck and the tide is coming in. Are my parents both working right now?", Kiara asked and Malou instantly covered her phone a little, just in case someone would come in.

"Yeah, why?"

"Ok, good. Tell them you're not feeling well and that you need to go home. Go to my house, climb through my window and get the keys of my dad's truck. Get the truck and drive to JJs house. He'll wait for you there with some tow ropes."

"What?! Are you crazy?! Kie, I won't steal your father's car!", Malou whisper shouted and quickly covered her mouth, still paranoid, that someone might enter the room.

"If he's at the Wreck, he won't even notice. If they'll notice afterwards, I'll take the blame on me of course, but you're much closer than I am, it's faster that way. Dude, the Twinkie is drowning, you're our last chance. JJ is on his way home already."

"Fuck, Kie, I don't know.", Malou mumbled and rubbed her forehead again. The pogues really caused her a lot of headaches.

"Malou, please! It's the best and safest plan we got."

"Ok, ok, fine! I'm on my way.", Malou gave in and hung up the phone, before Kiara could say anything else. Putting her phone back into her pocket, Malou leant against the wall and sighed. She encouraged herself in giving her a mental speech, before she splashed some water in her face and wetted her hair slightly. As she walked out of the restroom, she prepared herself for her scene, building up some emotions inside of her.

"Mrs. Carrera?", Malou asked quietly, when she reached the woman at the front of the bar.

"Malou. Oh dear, are you ok?", she instantly asked, when she looked in Malous teary eyes.

"I don't feel too well. I just got sick in the restroom.", Malou lied with a shaky voice and made puppy eyes, when the woman reached her hand up to feel the girl's forehead.

"I can see. You're very pale and sweaty. We have a lot to do right now. Do you want to sit down? I can drive you back home in a bit."

"I can call John B to pick me up. Is that ok? I really want to go home, before I get sick again.", Malou lied again and saw how Mrs. Carrera nodded her head.