Chapter 3

When the sun was about to set, Malou decided to get back to her friends. She felt a little bit better. At least, she could think clearer again. John B and Sarah had left to spent the night together, leaving Pope and Kiara back to figure out a new plan on how to get and sell the gold. Joining Pope and Kiara on the porch, Malou let herself fall onto the old armchair. As she watched the sun going down, her mind drifted back to JJ. Pulling her knees to her chest, Malou eventually decided to speak up.

"We should go and look after him. I have a bad feeling.", Malou said, after her, Kiara and Pope had sat in silence for a while.

"He'll come back when he can think straight again.", Kiara said quietly, without looking up at her. Malou huffed and uncomfortably shuffled in her seat.

"You don't get it, Kiara. You don't understand anything.", Malou mumbled and shook her head in disappointment. Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw how Pope and Kiara finally raised their heads, suddenly very interested in Malous words.

"I'm sorry, what?", Kiara asked angrily and looked at Malou with raised eyebrows. Malou sat up straight, getting offended at Kiaras anger right away.

"Have you ever watched JJ stumble into your house, because every step that he took hurt? Have you ever seen his face covered in so much blood, that you thought he was going to pass out? Because I have and every time I know he is going to that house, I am scared, that he is not going to come back.", Malou answered with a shaky voice and quickly turned her head away again from Kiara.

"Malou...", Pope tried to intervene, knowing exactly, where this was going. Shaking her head, Malou stood up from her seat and looked at her friends with anger in her eyes.

"No. I'm sick of her bullshit. You don't have a fucking clue what it's like to be a pogue. You don't know, what we went through and you don't give a shit about it. Remember your kook year? Yeah, exactly. Where were you, when our dad went missing? You forgot about us! You weren't there for me or John B, or anyone else. And when Sarah let you down, you came back for us. And we forgave you, we welcomed you back, we didn't care about the mistake you had made. But you? You're good at reproaching us with the mistake we make. You're fast to judge and to let us down and I'm done with that. JJ is the most loyal friend you could ever ask for and he puts everyone of us before himself. And what do you do? Put yourselves and even John B before him, when he clearly needs our help. Yeah, even you, Pope. If it wasn't for you, he wouldn't even be in that position.", Malou ranted with her hands gesturing around angrily. When she had gotten everything off her chest, she shook her head again ran her fingers through her hair.

"Are you serious right now? Take a fucking break.", Kiara then responded and got off the couch to be on Malous level. Malou scoffed and interrupted the dark-haired girl right away.

"Whatever. I'm going to look for him. Maybe when I get back, the two of you can think straight again.", Malou said and mocked Kiara with her own words, before she left the porch and walked off the property.

Malou reached the small house after a 15-minute walk. She hadn't been there often in the last few years, maybe three or four times and most of the times, she had just picked up JJ together with John B. JJ did not want her to be at his house and he had forbidden her to ever go alone. Well, he certainly wouldn't be happy about this. Sighing, Malou slowed down a little and silently sneaked around the house to get to JJs room. A bad feeling grew in her stomach, when she saw the railing and mosquito netting of the porch to the backyard being broken. Walking further, she made it to the corner of the house and carefully knocked on the window, that she knew belonged to JJs room. When nothing happened, Malou got on her tiptoes and took a look into the room. Making herself as tall as she could, the girl carefully pushed up the window and climbed inside the silent room.