~ 4 ~

Aelia watched him as he studied the room, and as he stood, she decided to place the dagger onto the table.

He turned at the sound and saw she put the dagger down, "I won't bite you, you can trust me." He was sincere enough that Aelia believed him, more so because he hadn't murdered that man in the alley.

"So, what did you need to talk to me about?" She asked, she couldn't help but be curious about why he needed her, of all people.

"You're a healer, aren't you?" He asked, reading the titles of the books, and turned around to face her.

"I am, I've been practicing for ten years now." She answered, and Astarion frowned.

"How old you are? And I've just realised I don't know your name." He asked, and Aelia tilted her head.

"My name is Aelia, and I'm 190-years-old." She replied, her eyes watched as he looked at her.

"What did you do before becoming a healer?" He asked, and Aelia swallowed hard.

"I... I think it's best that I don't talk about it." She said, and tried her best to stop wringing her hands.

But Astarion didn't push it, and fell back into an armchair, her favourite one to sit on.

Astarion nodded, "I'm sure you would like to know why I needed to talk to you."

Aelia sat on the arm of a chair and tilted her head, "I would, it must be important."

Astarion sat up and looked at her, "I'm planning on journeying away from Baldur's Gate and into places worse than hell, and I want you to come with me." He said, and Aelia tried to control her expressions.

"Why are you leaving?" She asked, trying to control her breathing.

"As you noticed, I'm a vampire, unable to walk in the sun. There's a myth of a Sun-Walker Ring out there somewhere, and I want it. I'll need a healer to help me along the way, and I want that healer to be you. Only if you want to join, of course." He spoke, his eyes boring into hers.

"Will there be others?" She asked, wondering if she'd have to travel alone with this vampire.

"Of course, you'll meet them soon if you agree to join us." And Aelia wondered who them was, but thought it best not to ask right now.

"And all that's expected of me is be a healer, nothing else?" Her voice was hard, and her eyes were narrowed as she stared him down.

Astarion tilted his head in confusion, "What else would we need you for?" She could see genuine curiosity, but Aelia was satisfied with his answer, as she nodded.

"Then I shall join you and your party, and be a healer only." She then held out her hand towards the vampire, and he stared at it for a few seconds before putting his hand in hers.

His skin was cool to the touch, but Aelia felt a spark when her hand touched his, but she ignored it as they shook hands and then let it go.

She took a few steps back and then looked at him, "So, when will we leave?"

Astarion stood up, "We can leave now if you want, sunrise isn't for a few hours and you can get acquainted with my companions." He then stopped, "Unless you have to do something before you leave." He eyed her carefully.

Aelia thought about it for a moment, she could write a letter to the Sanctuary that she would be away, but she had no one to tell that she'd be gone for a while. The thought saddened her for a moment before she looked up.

The healer shook her head, "No, let's just leave now. But let me pack the salves and potions, they'd be useful."

Astarion nodded and settled back in the chair, watching her walk about the room, packing her things.

Soon she was done, and shouldered her bag, facing the vampire.

He grinned devishly, "Let's go, darling."