~ 26 ~

They'd left the abandoned building once they'd eaten and the sun had gone down. Astarion was confused when Aelia had avoided his gaze, and his heart tightened, what if he had been right about why she'd went to talk to Shadowheart.

He knew it'd be a matter of time before she realised that maybe she didn't want this with him, whatever is is. Maybe the uncertainty had scared her off.

Fearing he was right, he didn't speak to her in terror that those words would leave her mouth.

Gale and Shadowheart filled the silence as they walked, Aelia was unusually quiet. So was Astarion, the worry eating at his brain.

They had walked for about two hours when a small but well lit building came into view, Aelia sighed in relief as she saw it. Upon entering the tavern, it was obvious that it wasn't busy at all, unlike the other taverns they'd visited.

Aelia stared at the total of five people sat there drinking, and they stared at the group with disdain. She stopped looking at them and turned to the group, focusing on the conversation with the tavern owner.

"We'd like four rooms please if the-"

"Three." Astarion's voice interrupted, and they all turned in surprise, and he shifted on his feet. "We'd like three rooms." He told the owner, who nodded.

Aelia stared at him in surprise, and felt shy when she felt his gaze on her. "Are you alright with that?" He asked, and she could tell he was nervous.

"Of course I am." She said softly as Shadowheart handed over gold and in return was given three keys.

"Let's go." Shadowheart said tiredly, dragging her feet towards the stairs, everyone else following her. She then gave Aelia a key, and nodded at her reassuringly.

Astarion had noticed the movement, and looked away, if she wanted to share a room with him, surely she wouldn't...

Aelia unlocked the door and lit the candles with her magic, and didn't say anything when the one double bed in the middle of the room practically stared blankly at her.

Astarion shut the door behind them, and shrugged off his pack and jacket, just standing in his shirt and black trousers.

"Are you-"

"What have I done wrong?" He interrupted her, his voice heightened as he stepped closer to her, but there was still a gap between them.

Aelia frowned, "What do you mean?"

He glanced away, "Just say it, I knew this would happen eventually."

She stepped forward, "Astarion, what in hells are you talking about?"

He hesitated, perhaps he'd been too rash.

"I thought that you..." Astarion's voice slowly silenced, the words left hanging in the air.

Aelia's face fell, and she walked closer to him, placing her hands on his chest, "Gods no, Astarion, I'm not wanting to end what we are. You've done nothing wrong. It's me."

Astarion could've sworn his legs buckled in relief, but then he heard what she'd said.

"What about you, you're perfect." He breathed out softly, placing his hands on top of hers and rubbing her palms with his thumbs.

"Every time I'm with you, I hear this voice in my head. My," Aelia paused and swallowed, "father's voice. And I try to ignore it but it's getting to me." She revealed, and Astarion listened.

"What does he say?" He whispered, his eyes soft as he did so.

"It says I'm incapable of being loved, how could someone like you would want to be with someone like me. The very normal things a father tells his daughter." She tried to joke, the smile wavering on her face.