Chapter 2 - A Friend

There are a few reasons Lena wore a hoodie today. She wanted to blend in and not attract attention. Her chronal accelerator on her chest is an eye catcher. A hoodie would do the trick to hide it. Though she does end up looking a bit chubby, but she isn't complaining about that. She still remembers that day on the slipstream jet. When all the equipment went haywire and the controls malfunctioned before takeoff. She tried to control the ship before it detonated. However, since the detonation originated from the teleportation matrix, it rearranged her body's molecules and she was able to survive the explosion. When the rescue team went through the wreckage, her body, along with the teleportation matrix, was not found. She was presumed dead. It took months until Tracer began to fade in and out of existence and for someone to realize that Tracer was still alive. No one really knew where she fading in and out of. Some researchers claimed she was going into the fourth dimension. Others have claimed she is teleporting in between locations just as the matrix was intended to function. They were too baffled to come up with working plan to save her. From Tracer's perspective, it was like trying to remember a dream. Everything is too hazy and cluttered. Though she remembers clearly that she felt cold. For Tracer, the period of months felt like seconds. Overwatch's scientist was stumped and hopeless until Winston heard of the incident. He stepped in and wouldn't give up until he helped out his friend. He concluded that she is indeed teleporting but through both space and time. He termed the condition as chrono dissociation and developed a device to stabilize her condition and tether her to the present. Since then, Tracer was able to control her new ability and help people.

Lena walked out of her apartment building with a hand on her chest over the hoodie as she was remembering her past. She looked at the sky that was completely cloudy now without any sunlight passing through. She looked across the street. The omnics and the police truck that transports them were no longer there. Though, one police vehicle was around. She looked around and found the officers standing over what looked like a body on the ground with white drapes over it. A frown emerged on Tracer's face. Coincidentally the sky turned darker and it seemed like it was going to rain. In a matter of seconds, rain drops began to fall. She realized that it was stupid not to check the forecast before stepping out. She didn't have an umbrella, so she put her hood up and started walking.

Winston currently stays at the Overwatch London Base. He doesn't like to roam around because everyone can spot him and know it's the gorilla from overwatch. As a result, not many people know that Winstons stays there. Lena is one of the few. The base is located not too far away from Lena's apartment. It's about a 20-minute walk to the main entrance. Though, the main entrance has been abandoned for years since overwatch was disbanded. It's now barricaded and has many signs that state "closed by executive mandate". Lena has to go around to enter from a secret back door. That lengthens the duration of the walk by only 5 minutes, but 5 minutes in the rain feels a lot. To get to the secret entrance, she needs to head into some alleyways. During her walk, she came across multiple graffiti on the wall depicting the war. Some of which depicted overwatch and their victories with the words "there is hope". It always brought a smile to her face seeing them. But not today. One of these graffiti drawings was in an alley basketball court. Attached to that basketball land post was a deceased omnic that had the word "scum" written on its forehead in red. It was slumped down on the ground. Its clothes ripped in several places. Its metal skin looks worn down. They must have been there for days. Lena stood silently in the rain looking down on this scenery with a frown. All she thought about is how this isn't what she fought for. She hasn't realized it but she was entirely soaked now. She must have been standing there for a few minutes while it was pouring. She tried to wipe the word but it seems to have dried in place completely. She untied the body, took the omnic to the side and found a drape to cover it with. She started getting a chill and decided to get a move on to avoid getting sick.