Chapter 17 - A Storm Brews

Lena took the opportunity in the morning while everyone was asleep to go and get some freshly baked croissants from a nearby bakery. She got some butter and cheese croissants and a coffee for herself. Since she didn't know what Mei liked, she decided to get some plain ones just in case. She sat down on one of the tables and drank her coffee. She was happy that Mei was here, but a part of her is saddened that no one else has responded to the recall.

 She was happy that Mei was here, but a part of her is saddened that no one else has responded to the recall

She stepped outside of the bakery to enjoy the sunlight and walk back. However, the screams from the people in the street broke her peaceful moment. A few indistinguishable omics were on the streets fleeing from the police.

"This is the third time this month these bots have been running around stealing in our neighborhood," said a voice in the crowd in disgust.

"And it's not like the police are making things any better." Said another voice.

Lena knew that people steal either out of greed or survival and Omnics are not in a position to be greedy. Nevertheless, theft is wrong and must be stopped. She quickly put her bag of croissants on the counter in the store and alerted the shop owner that she will back in a bit for them. She stepped out of the bakery again and scanned the environment quickly. There were a few Omnics fleeing apprehension while some were already pinned down by the police. One hooded figure was standing in the shadows hugging a cardboard box. It was clear to Lena that it was an omnic in disguise since their skin was reflective indicating it was metal. Well, what are you up to? Lena thought to herself.

"IT'S THERE! It stole my modulator!" A man running out of the other stores was pointing a finger at the hooded omnic and screaming at the cops.

"Hey Lady, you can't just leave your purchase in the bakery on-" The man from the bakery had walked out of the store carrying the bag of croissants to hand to Lena but was jumped by the hooded figure making a dash to escape. The bag dropped to the floor and all the croissants soiled by the wet floor. Now I'm upset, that cost me 10 pounds.

Lena started chasing the cloaked omnic through the alleyways. They were fast but Lena is the fastest when it comes to a chase. Her blink and recall abilities make it impossible for someone to outrun her. As any runner would do, the omnic tried to topple some garbage cans and put down obstacles in Tracer's path as they fled. However, that sort of thing will never work on Lena. She easily blinks between them and is not hindered.

As the cloaked figure turned a corner, Lena wondered if she could blink to the corner and use her momentum to blink forward further than usual. After thinking of the plan, she executed it. A millisecond past and she was at the corner and a moment later she was way ahead of the omnic. The omnic was taken by surprise and couldn't react in time.

 The omnic was taken by surprise and couldn't react in time