Chapter 5 - Rise and Shine

The next day, Winston spent the entire morning and afternoon coming up with a script for a video he wanted to broadcast to all agents that received the recall. There were so many papers on the ground when Tracer stepped in. He was at his desk scribbling and then crumpling up papers and throwing it behind him. One of them rolled over to Tracer's foot. She thought of asking why he didn't just do the drafts with the help of Athena on the computer but decided not to disturb his rhythm. Instead, she picked up one of the papers off the ground and read out loud "to all agents of overwatch"

Winston immediately spoke "that was not accurate so I disposed of it"

She picked up another one and read it while trying to sound all high and mighty "To the former agents of Overwatch..."

Winston interrupted again "that just didn't sound right, so I disposed of it too"

Tracer couldn't keep it together and laughed "you won't get anywhere like this Winston" she paused and moved closer to his desk "Just make one from the heart, without a script. Here I'll hold the camera" She blinked over quickly to the shelves on the side, grabbed a camera and blinked back again. "Come on big guy, show em what you got"

Winston was sitting at his desk with papers in his hand. He looked straight at the camera and was silent. He gave an awkward smile, fixed his glasses and took a deep breath. "30 years ago, the omnics declared war..."

He projected a hologram in front of the camera with images of the crisis and continued talking about it. He tried to sneak a look at Tracer's expression for approval but she just gestured with her hands for him to continue.

"...overwatch was created to save humanity. You were chosen to be a part of something bigger. The greatest champions of peace and progress. You were chosen... You joined... Because you..." He sighed and looked away from the camera. His enthusiasm lost. "You already know this..." he looked up at the camera again "the people decided they were better off without us. They even called us criminals. They tore our family apart." his eyes lit up with fire again "but look around!"

He brought up some images of omnics fighting humans, unsettlement in different countries, uprising of omnics who seek violence, and much more chaos worldwide. Finally, he showed an image of Mondatta' s assassination and Widowmaker. He turned off the holograms and continued "The world needs us now more than ever" He took off his glasses and moved closer to the camera "Are you with me?"

"And cut!" Tracer said out loud in joy. "See that was great"

"Let's have a look at it on the computer and then decide"

The following few hours they continued editing the video. When they were almost done. Tracer decided to make some hot chocolate for both of them. She came back carrying one large mug that she had to carry with both hands. She placed it at his desk. "One mega hot coco for the scientist" she blinked back and forth instantly holding a mug in her hand and continued "and one for me" she took a sip and gave a refreshed sigh.

All that was left was clicking send. Tracer was so excited that she wanted to be the one to press it. Winston had no objections. She did so and Athena spoke "Emergency broadcast sent to all active overwatch channels"

Tracer asked "who do you think would respond?"

Winston said in a calm but hopeful voice "All of them... I hope"

 I hope"