Chapter 14 - Infiltration

Reyes's pulse pounded in his ears. It was here, in these quiet moments, where his rage simmered. Small irritations—a late pilot, a missing mission brief—used to precede an easy smile, a good-natured ribbing. But since his transformation, these annoyances had a way of spiraling and his rage building a bridge to somewhere else. Reyes didn't like thinking about what was on the other side of that bridge. He got the sense that with every bullet fired, every time his body collapsed into a plume of black smoke, he was taking another small step down that road. But that was the price of power. Reyes stared at his warped reflection as he gripped the Reaper mask—a specialized breathing apparatus that resembled a white jack-o'-lantern with narrowed red eye slits. For stealth-based missions like this, Reyes needed a HUD, a gas filter, an omnidirectional comms system connected to a GPS. For all intents and purposes, the mask was practical. But there were other reasons for the mask too . . . his face was a liability. The world thought he was dead, and it needed to stay that way. No one could know, especially her, especially Martina.

A million images flooded Reyes's mind—a broken kaleidoscope of fleeting moments of joy, contentment, discovery, love. A melting ice cream cone dripping across scraped knuckles. Her hair. A time when she looked at his face with affection.

Would she smile now if she knew what I've become? The question went unanswered as a wellspring of anger bubbled up from places Reyes tried to repress. Could she ever feel that way about me again?

Reyes remembered waking upafter the Overwatch facility blew up and seeing a pair of cold eyes staring athis face. Moira O'Deorain—the mad geneticist whom he'd recruited intoBlackwatch. A choice that would prove to deliver an endless array of unintendedconsequences. As Reyes drifted in and out of consciousness, Moira explained howshe'd overloaded his body with a cocktail of experimental chemicals—a juiced-upversion of the substance that had first given him the ability to manipulate hisform. She claimed he'd been close to death and she'd had no other option.Though the scientist cloaked her motivations in the cool logic of her field,Reyes knew she enjoyed her work more when playing with helpless test subjects.In one moment, he was flesh and blood; the next moment, he was a cluster ofblack smoke, aware of every molecule and yet terrified of losing command of it.How many people now had tried to kill him? And instead, his power had grown. Hewas more than what he had been before. The memory of his previous life now feltlike the tragic prologue to a tale of revenge he would write in blood.

 The memory of his previous life now feltlike the tragic prologue to a tale of revenge he would write in blood

Reyes snapped out of his daydream, breathing deep as the Talon dropship began its landing cycle. The Reaper mask cast a shadow across his horrific visage as he slowly lowered it over his head. With a satisfying click, the mask connected to the armored cowl around his neck. He took another deep breath met by a hiss, both icy and metallic.

"One minute thirty to the deployment zone," the dropship pilot said.

Reyes turned to a bank of computer monitors along the comm station of the dropship. He deftly slid a finger across the LED control panel and scrolled through Doomfist's mission brief.