↳ 𝕕𝕚𝕥𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 ・❥・: ̗̀➛

𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓂𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊

┊ ┊ ┊ ┊

ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴏᴍᴇᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ᴅᴀɴᴄᴇ was supposed to be fun when you were at the dance, but for Aubrey, the fun parts weren't even at the dance.

Two things were the best parts about the homecoming dance. The first was before, when she asked Kel to go with her. Her dumb crush on him was getting too big, and she thought that asking him to the homecoming dance would have him rejecting her and forcing her to move on. She wasn't expecting him to actually say yes and reciprocate her feelings, but she wasn't complaining at all.

The second was the night of the dance, but not that the actual dance was fun. Aubrey and Kel spent the first hour at the dance, but she got bored and joked to him about ditching. He didn't take it as a joke and told her they could leave now if she wanted. At the moment, she felt excited to ditch the homecoming dance with him, but now that they actually left...

"Do you think we're allowed to do this?" he asked her as they left the school building. "What happens if we get caught?"

"Then we run for it," she decided, ignoring the way her stomach twisted from ditching the homecoming dance when he probably would have had a lot more fun at it. The pink dress she was wearing wasn't the best option for running, but she could make it work.

Besides, if they did get caught, at least Kel would have fun. He always enjoyed running around, getting messy not being a fear he had. He was dressed up tonight in a clean suit with no tie, his brown hair tied back in a neat, low ponytail. Even though he looked handsome, she knew he would have the most fun if his suit ended up with dirt on it.

"So, where are we going?" he asked as they walked away from their high school. "I'm down for anything."

What could they do? They could go back and get that uncomfortable feeling in her stomach away, but they already left. Faraway Town wasn't too far away, but it was quicker to get there on the bus. They could still make it there, but then what? Not a lot of other people would be out, and the stars were starting to come out...

"Do you wanna just watch the stars?" she asked.

Kel looked up at the night sky, the gentle moonlight hitting his face in just the right angle. "Sure. But not here. We won't see anything here."

He took her hand, and she could feel her heart beat faster. Despite it being somewhat cold outside, she prayed her hand wasn't sweaty.

As they walked, their conversation was of random topics focusing on school. Homework, teachers, schoolmates... She liked seeing how animated he got when talking.

They were passing by an ice cream parlor when Kel stopped them. "Aubs, can we get some ice cream?"

Aubrey resisted a scowl but still frowned. "Don't call me that."

"Aubrey, can we get some ice cream?"

She didn't feel like eating anything, let alone ice cream, when her stomach was still tied in knots, She could easily tell him no, especially since he wasn't doing those puppy eyes that shouldn't work so well on her, but she found herself agreeing before she realized it. It wasn't like she minded, though; seeing him so happy with his vanilla ice cream was worth it.

She let herself get convinced by him to get something and bought herself strawberry ice cream. She had thought about getting chocolate ice cream just because he thought vanilla was better than chocolate. They would have their usual argument—she actually liked vanilla and chocolate equally but just wanted to see him riled up—but it was the night of homecoming; he should be happy, even if he wasn't at the homecoming dance. Maybe he would be happier at the dance...