Silver Linings

A/N: I know it's been far too long since the last update, life has been overly crazy the last six weeks. I had two christenings, a wedding, a family holiday and my 23rd birthday in that time, as well as chauffeur my grandmother to doctor appointments, scans etc. haven't really had a chance to write, and I know this is a bit of a filler chapter but I'm settling back into author mode and will be updating regularly once again. Thank you all for your patience, enjoy and make sure to comment what you think of the book so far!

Fred leaves Mikayla alone in their room to get dressed after she finished putting her hair into an up style and applying her makeup. Fred was going to man the door as the wedding party is expected to be arriving soon, and he is going to show them where they can go to start getting ready. Mikayla's heart was in her stomach as she began to unzip the garment bag that Madam Malkin sent her that contained her one of a kind dress. Mikayla had owled Madam Malkin the day after she got the invitation for the wedding asking if it was possible that she could create her a dress that was whimsical and utterly unique. Madam Malkin immediately responded, claiming that it would be an honour to see Mikayla wearing one of her original dresses for their friend's wedding.

Mikayla's breath was taken away by the beauty of her dress as she uncovered it. In the garment bag, stood a gorgeous lilac A-line tulle midi dress with 3D butterflies that fluttered sporadically making up the straps of the dress. The dress had a semi-sweetheart neckline with a corset-style bodice that laced-up at the back, Madam Malkin has truly outdone herself. Mikayla instinctively reached towards the butterfly filled straps, gently caressing the fabricated animals, a small laugh escaping her lips as the butterflies wings flitter against her finger tips. She gently takes the dress completely out of the garment bag, loosening the bow that ties the corset back closed to give her room to get into the dress.

Mikayla pulls the dress over her head, the fabric of the dress smoothly caressing her skin as it travels until she could put her arms through the straps. She fixed the neckline as it was slightly off centre due to the looseness of the corset. With a flourish of her wand, Mikayla magically tightened and tied the corset's back so that the dress fitted her perfectly. Her hands smoothing down the tulle skirt as she looked at herself in the mirror, admiring how the dress clung to her in all the right places. Mikayla pulls on some gold open-toe heels to give her some extra height. The outfit wouldn't be done until she added the accessories; the watch Molly and Arthur gifted her, her book Locket that matches Fred's and her silver lion earrings Ron had given her for her birthday.

 The outfit wouldn't be done until she added the accessories; the watch Molly and Arthur gifted her, her book Locket that matches Fred's and her silver lion earrings Ron had given her for her birthday

Once she was happy with her outfit, Mikayla looked at her clock and saw that it was 10:58am. It was time for her to share the Carra Estate's location with the wedding guests. She picks up her invitation, and with a pen writes the address on the back of it before activating the Protean Charm. With her final responsibility completed, a relaxed version of Mikayla leaves her bedroom to make herself useful to whoever needed her. It was Fred who she spotted first, discovering that he was chatting with Kingsley and his brother, Adebiyi, in the sunroom. As she made her way over to the men, Fred seemed to stop mid-sentence as soon as he noticed her approaching, causing the Shacklebolt brothers to turn and follow his eye-line.

Mikayla goes straight to Kingsley, complimenting his suit while outwardly admiring the gold accents on the notched lapel of his suit jacket. "Thank you, Mikayla. I like your dress." Mikayla chuckles softly at Kingsley's approval of her dress, stepping next to Fred and placing her hand on his back before greeting Adebiyi, and formally introducing herself with a handshake. Mikayla chatted with the men for about twenty minutes, keeping the conversation flowing with ease. She patiently allowed Kingsley to run through a checklist of everything that needed to be done, confirming that she already sent out the address. Mikayla did everything she could to ease Kingsley's racing mind as he was visibly nervous for the events of today.

He wanted this day to be perfect and Mikayla planned to do everything in her power to make sure that it will be. As soon as she saw his shoulder's relax, she announced that she was going to check on the women and make sure Penelope had everything she needed. As she journeyed to the girls room, a baby dragon Patronus came racing towards her, it was from Charlie. "Mikayla, guests are beginning to arrive and get seated. Everyone is in good spirits and admiring the ceremony's setup." A smile tugs on her lips, delighted that the guests were already arriving and that she could inform the bride. Mikayla knocks on the guest bedroom door that the bridal party is using to get ready.

Griselda Marchbanks opened the door, just a sliver to see who was knocking. "Hi, just letting you know the guests are arriving. And wondering if you need anything?" Mikayla whispers, as if fearing that if she talks too loud that she might disrupt the wedding party too much. "No, we're good in here, almost ready ourselves. Perhaps you could advise the groom to start making his way out and greet the guests." Mikayla accepts the suggestion, turning around to hastily go back to the sunroom. She passed on Griselda's advice that Kingsley should make his way to the ceremony location and greet the guests, and await her Patronus for when Penelope and her bridal party were on their way.

The ceremony was absolutely beautiful, not a single person could doubt just how deeply Kingsley and Penelope loved each other. Those who believed that the couple had rushed into the wedding due to Penelope's pregnancy, claiming that they were still in the honeymoon phase of their relationship and mightn't be perfectly matched for marriage, were definitely eating their words now. Arthur, who was officiating the wedding, made sure to remind all of the guests of the fact that Penelope and Kingsley have known each other since they were eleven. How they were close friends all throughout Hogwarts, but after the First War lost touch as they grieved those they lost and got wrapped up in making a life for themselves.

It was war that divided them and war that brought them together, even if they both claimed that it was Mikayla that had reconnected them. She supposed it sounded better that a mutual friend helped them find each other again over the horrors of history repeating itself. It wasn't the truth though, if it weren't for them both being in the Order, even if it was mikayla who recruited Penelope, they mightn't have ever pushed themselves to find each other. They would've been each other's 'one that got away' and that seemed like a terribly sad existence now when they've fallen in love again. Once again, Mikayla finds herself unable to deny the silver lining of war and conflict, which is love. With the future so unpredictable you find yourself treasuring those who bring light to the darkness, your loved ones.

Mikayla couldn't help the tears that had tumbled down her cheeks as Kingsley and Penelope exchanged their vows, deciding to personally create their own marital promises. The main promises being to love each other unconditionally, limitlessly and faithfully. Simple basics wrapped up in funny anecdotes, tales, and brimming with undeniable love. Mikayla quite liked the idea of writing something entirely personal and representative of the workings of a relationship for vows. Perhaps she could convince Fred to agree with writing original vows for their wedding, but that would be for another day. Now, it's time to celebrate the newlyweds at the Reception Party!