Shared Interests

Dear M

The way you described things is certainly what I hoped for in a long-term relationship. I have nothing against marriage itself, but it was never a goal of mine as a young man. I wasn't thinking that far ahead, until I found that far ahead was right up close.

I haven't really thought about what might happen in the future, as I've spent years living in the present and regretting the past. Maybe I'll tell you at some point what happened when I was about your age, but I'm not proud of myself and I don't think that offloading more of my trauma on you is the best way to move forward. However, these letters to you have made me think about what a terrible state of mind I'm in. One that I need to change. In answer to your question, yes, I would be prepared to commit to someone for life if I met the right person and circumstances didn't conspire against us.

I would certainly want to share my life and interests with that person. I enjoy being alone, but there are so many wonderful things I'd like to see and do with someone else who would appreciate them.

Don't let my grumpy old man stories put you off relationships; you are young and should be out having fun. You don't need to find Mr Right right away, and finding a few Mr Wrongs could help you work out what you don't want to have in a partner as much as what you do. Have fun.

D