On the Coach and Near Him

Martha sat at the front of the coach as the popular girls rushed to the back, chattering and giggling as they went, bags banging against the seats.

Amy sat next to her. "Do you get travel sick, too?"

"Uh-huh," replied Martha. If she was going to be on a bus for six hours, the only place she wanted to be was near Dean.

Dean sprang up the steps and did a headcount. "All present and correct. Right, most of our journey is straight along the dual carriageway and motorway, but if anyone does feel sick, let me know, and I'll try to find somewhere to stop, okay? There are seatbelts on the bus. Please wear them. Lastly, and most importantly, we need to vote on what radio station to listen to."

There was a cacophony of noise as girls shouted out their favourites.

"Radio Four? Who here would like Radio Four?" Martha would have liked to put her hand up but she didn't dare, and no one else shared her and Dean's taste in intelligent talk radio.

"Okay, Radio Three?"

No hands.

"You troglodytes! How about Radio Two?"

Amazingly, there were two hands up, and Martha put hers up in support.

"Fine, Radio Southwest it is, then."

The students went ballistic. "Sir!" "That's not fair, sir!" "Come on, sir!"

Dean talked to the driver, and Radio One blared over the loudspeakers.

When Tears For Fears came on, Amy nudged Martha and they joined the others in singing along.

It was a long and noisy trip up to London.