Done With Faking Interests

The end of school bell rang on Friday and everyone dashed for the gates. Everyone but Martha, who made a detour to check the Post. She bent to check for a note and felt a rush of adrenaline when she found one. And another when she heard Amy behind her calling, "Martha! Martha!"

Martha stood up, shoved the note behind her into her knickers and smoothed down her skirt.

Amy arrived, panting. "I wanted to catch you before you got on the bus." She stopped to get her breath back. "What were you looking for?"

"Nothing. I thought I saw something shiny, but there wasn't anything. Walk with me to the bus, otherwise I'll miss it."

"Martha, we haven't been out to the pub together in ages – "

"Yeah, sorry. It's just that I've got tons of work to catch up on..." began Martha.

"No, that's cool. I've still been going out with, um, well... things have got a little more serious with Brian."

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, but I don't want things to be awkward, what with Toph and all that..."

"Don't worry about me. I'm behind on my coursework anyway, so I shouldn't be going out so much. Plus, I need to save up for college. It's only a year away and even with the scholarship, I'll have bugger all money; my parents can't afford to pay the rent and stuff."

"So you don't mind me going out with Brian?"

"No way. You guys are an awesome match."

"Thanks. He's really sweet when it's just the two of us. He makes me feel special, you know?"

"Absolutely. That's terrific, Amy. I'm thrilled for you." The bus driver beeped the horn. "Oops. I'd better go. Have a fun weekend!"

"You too!" Amy beamed and waved Martha off as she hopped on the bus.

Martha took the last seat on the bottom deck, dropped her backpack to the floor, and slouched down in the seat, relieved. She hadn't been out with Amy in ages and had no desire to. It wasn't only because of Toph. Going out to the pubs to jostle with boys was pointless. Faking an interest in teenage relationships again was a waste of time and money. It wasn't a lie to say she had lots of work to do. Dean was interested in every piece of art she worked on, which encouraged her to produce more. She spent all her free time drawing and writing and thinking about Dean. His notes were more guarded, but she understood that. He couldn't put things in writing that he was feeling. It was disappointing that he only wrote about art or the upcoming student art exhibition in his notes, but it was better than nothing. She collected the envelopes from the Post and saved them until she got home. When she opened them, she breathed in the burst of his soapy smell. Closing her eyes, she imagined he was in her room with her.