Is it Weird to be Happily Married?

Dear D

Sometimes it seems like the only happily married people I know are my parents. But they are weird. It's terrible when they have arguments, not because I'm afraid they'll split up, but because when they make up (always before the end of the day) they get even more lovey-dovey. It's embarrassing. Amy says her parents are always fighting and they are only staying together for her and her brother and she wishes they wouldn't!

I'd be happy if I never got married. But I would like to be with someone for the rest of my life, to be with someone to share the ups and downs with. I'd like to travel together and to have long conversations. I'd like someone to have a laugh with and play games with. A best friend you share a bed with. But I don't see a reason to get married these days, unless it's for legal reasons like who gets all the stuff when the other one dies. But then can't you just write a will, or something? People spend thousands of pounds on one day and there are so many other things I would do with that money.

Would you ever get married again (assuming you weren't still married, of course!)?

It does seem extreme that you stay in such an unhappy marriage.

If Robert thinks it goes back to your childhood, I want to know what on earth happened then? It must've been even worse!

Yours

M