A Last Supper

The last time Dean saw Demelza, she brought bad news. "Sheila called."

"Cottage guests in winter? They're brave."

"She didn't call about tourists, Dean. She's selling the cottage."

"Damn. Well, at least I'll have some time to sort something out – no one will buy it in winter."

"They did, Dean. The sale will go through after the survey. It's a formality, apparently, and then Sheila promises you thirty days' notice after that. Unless you find something sooner, of course. Like being my live-in cook."

Dean gave Demelza a wry smile, but felt a rug being pulled out from under him. "Bloody hell. Who's buying it?"

"A middle-aged couple from the city. The wife loved the place when they stayed in September. She said her husband can work from here using the Internet. I don't know if he knows it's not that broad bean one."

"Broadband. No, he won't like the dial-up Internet. I remember them. She was a sweetheart, loved the garden and the wildlife. He did nothing but complain about the track, how long it took to run hot water, the lack of Sky TV... Shit. What a nightmare."

"You'll find something. You can stay with me until you do."

"Thanks, but I'm not worrying about me. It's the garden, the barn. This is the only place that has ever felt like home in my adult life. I put all my love into it and they'll not be able to. It will fall apart."

"Can you counter offer? Do you have any savings?"

"Not enough. And the bank wouldn't give me a mortgage, as a middle-aged painter and dishwasher. I'm stuffed and so is the barn. The guy will probably turn it into a garage for his Porsche."

"Nothing lasts forever, Dean. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I'm sorry you had to be the bearer of bad tidings. I should've told Sheila I had a landline, so she didn't have to call you. Never mind – we can't worry about what we can't do anything about. Let's eat – I made venison stew."

"Are you sure you can't afford this place – if you can buy venison?"

"Buy it? Some drunk wrote his car off and took a young stag with it last week. I've filled Sheila's freezer with it, so eat up!"

Demelza and Dean enjoyed a last supper of venison stew and a decent Aussie Shiraz. When he called her the next day, Demelza never answered.