The Plan

Amy and Martha made more tea and shared the chocolate before moving on to corner shop rosé and olives as they caught up with each other's lives. As always, Amy hadn't been single for long, and had met Mike, an Australian, in a bar in Shepherd's Bush.

"Kind of appropriate really," said Amy, "as he really is a shepherd."

"What was he doing in a bar in London?"

"The same thing as most of the Aussies and Kiwis – working on his OE, overseas experience. He had a visa for two years. A visa that runs out at the end of the year."

"Oh dear. What are you going to do?"

"Well... he's invited me back with him."

"To Australia?"

"Yes. He's going back to the farm he grew up on in New South Wales. He's invited me to work with him on his farm."

Martha gave Amy a quizzical stare.

"I really like him, Martha. I think this is the one."

"That's great, but what do you know about sheep?" asked Martha.

"Absolutely nothing. But it's got to be better than the boring job I'm working in now. And besides, I'm sick of this grey English weather. Australia has better weather than this."

"It'll be a shame to see you go. I've missed you, Amy."

"I've missed you too. Which is why I think you should come with me."

"To farm sheep in Australia? Er... no."

"No, not to the farm. I was thinking I would travel for a few months before I settle down there. You know, do my own OE. And I think it would be great fun if you came with me."

"I don't have any money, Amy."

"You could get a working holiday visa and earn some money while you're there. And we could save up. My parents would kill me if I left before Christmas, anyway. So we could work our arses off until the end of the year, go down to Cornwall to catch up with the olds and then get on a flight in the New Year to set off on an adventure."

"That does sound good. I'd have to find another job and save up some money though. It's not like the old days; my parents said you used to be able to emigrate to Australia for ten quid."

"A visa will cost a bit more than that, worst luck. But we could definitely help each other save. You can come round to my place for big nights in. I've got a DVD player and make a mean curry. We'll be the most boring women in London, but we'll have one hell of a time Down Under."

"How can I resist? You're on."