Relief

The following day, Dean let himself into the school an hour before registration was due to start. He slid his letter under the headteacher's door and put his keys in his desk drawer, where he told her she'd be able to find them. Then he gathered a few things, made his way to the exit, and walked back to the house.

He was having a cup of tea, mulling over what to do next, when he heard keys in the lock. His wife walked in briskly, closely followed by a man who looked familiar. She pulled up short when she saw him. "You should be at work."

"I'm not going in."

"Did the headmistress call you?" said Kristina, a smile creeping up her face.

"No." Dean was glad not to give her the satisfaction she'd expected. "Hello," he said, directing his gaze towards the man. "I'm sorry, I think we've met, but I don't remember your name..."

"Martin." Martin had the decency to flush red with embarrassment. "I'm in Kristina's book club."

"Right. Book club. Yes." He turned to look back at Kristina, who was watching him with narrowed eyes.

"Martin is here to help me pick up a few things. I've called the estate agents. They're coming round to look at the place tomorrow. I think it's best if we put it on the market, don't you?"

He saw the complete picture now. This was what she wanted. To be the injured party. Finding the letters had been a gift. But Dean wasn't upset. He was relieved. At least he wouldn't have to worry about Kristina any more.