How Can Something So Wrong Feel So Right?

Dean finished another glass of the alcoholic bubbles and surveyed the work in the hall. The sculptures were terrible, but most of the drawings and paintings weren't bad. Some of them were actually quite good. Half the work on the walls had red stickers beside it. And they hadn't all been bought by the parents of the artists who'd made them. Every one of Martha's paintings was sold, though her mum and dad were nowhere to be seen.

"Martha, where are your parents?"

"I have to talk to you about that. Can we step outside?"

Dean looked around the room. The students, teachers and parents were busy looking at the art, drinking the free drinks and generally having a good time. He scanned the room for the headteacher. About an hour earlier, Dean had left Amy to fill in on the bar, forgetting to tell her not to serve Miss Staverly the sparkling wine. She was leaning on a sculpture and laughing like a backfiring car at one of Julia's dad's blue jokes.

"Okay, you go out and I'll follow you."

Martha slipped out of the room and stood out in the playground, looking up at the moon. It was nearly full and cast a beautiful light over the ugly surroundings. She waited for what seemed like an eternity. Just as she was about to give up and go back inside, the door opened and Dean came out.

"What happened to your parents?"

"I didn't invite them."

"Why? They would've been so proud to see your work."

"They can see my work any time. But I wanted to have this time with you. Alone." Martha moved closer to Dean, so that she had to look up to maintain eye contact. She caught her boot on a drain cover, wobbling forward. He instinctively put his arm around her to catch her and she leaned in, going up on tiptoes to kiss him.

A switch was thrown. He kissed her back. He knew it was wrong.