Chapter Six || Swim Team

They got down to the great hall. Before they got in, they were given the class they were in and walked into the main area. The room was filled with students, all talking to each other. They weren't there for long before someone got on the stage at the front of the room, addressing everyone.

"Hello, everyone. Welcome to Caeleste Academy. I'm very happy to see so many students here today, and I'm very excited to start this year and I hope you are too," The man, who William assumed was the principal, said.

"The plan for today is for you all to become familiar with the school and the many sports teams we have. So I would like you all to form a line, Go to the tables to the left of you and pick up your schedules, so tomorrow you'll know where to go. After that, you are free to roam campus and look around to see if there are any teams you are interested in joining. If there are any questions, I'll be here at the front." The man explained.

William turned to Silvae, "Well, I guess we'll see each other later?" He shrugged as everyone around them made their way to the tables left of them. Silvae didn't even have time to answer before William had run off towards the right table.

There wasn't that big of a line compared to the other clubs. But it was the only one William was interested in. He didn't want to join the track team. Running wasn't his thing. And flying? How would that even work, No, the only team he could see among the many signs and people was the swim team.

He got in the line. It's not like he was the only one who wanted to join. He just hoped he was on time. Who knows how many could join if there even was a limit.

As he looked at the stand, he could see the guy he met last time, Bruce, as he talked to the students, helping them fill in the form. He got anxious the closer he got. But he wasn't the only one.

"Do you think we'll get in?" He heard a voice behind him. He turned around and was met with a girl. She had bright pink and purple hair.

"Are you talking to me?" He asked, pointing to himself. "Who else would I be talking to?" She laughed, looking up at William. "You are in line for the swim team, right?"

"Yeah -" William said, moving forward to the stand. "I think we'll get in," he said. "If there was a limit, we would've been sent away already." William smiled back. "You're right -" she smiled, looking at the line. They were the last two. "My name is Red," she held out her hand. "William." He said, shaking her hand.

They kept talking as they moved up the line. "So you know I have to ask..." she said carefully. "I noticed the gills, and if I may ask, what are you?" She asked.

William let out a laugh, raising his hand to touch his neck. "Ah, yeah. I'm a, uh- tiger shark." He said. Her face lit up. "Oh -" she yelled, raising her arms. "I'm a bull shark -" she smiled brightly.

"I've been looking all over this place for another shark. All I found was a seahorse-" she laughed. "Really?" William laughed, surprised by her enthusiasm.

They moved up to the stand, as the last person in front of them signed the form. "Oh hey, it's you again." Bruce smiled as William walked up to him. "Hey, yeah, of course -" he laughed.

Bruce handed him the form and a pen as William wrote down his name. "Glad you decided to join -" Bruce laughed. "I have to. It's the only team I'll be good at, '' William laughed as he gave him the paper. "Well, you're gonna have fun, I promise." Bruce put his now filled in form in a pike with the other before. He grabbed another paper, giving it to william. "You're gonna be there later, right? we're gonna do a lot of fun stuff." Bruce smiled proudly. William looked down, reading through the schedule he was just handed.

"Y-yeah, sure." He smiled. He was starting to panic slightly. He still hasn't fixed the whole, not being able to shift in fresh water thing. But he still had some time to change this. "Great, then we can hang out more -" Suddenly Red appeared in between them. As they were talking, she had signed up as well.

"Right." William was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed at all of this. He was excited about all of it but still nervous. "Guess I'll see you two later then?" Bruce smiled as he leaned onto the table. "For sure!" Red smiled as she started to walk away. William showed Bruce a smile before running after her.

"Hey, wait," he said as he caught up to her. "Can I ask you something?" He asked. She stopped and turned to look at him. "Yeah, sure, what's up?" She smiled. "It's kind of embarrassing, but -" he started, bringing his hand up to his neck. "It's fine. I won't judge." She said back. "Promise?" Williamd asked. She nodded. "Yeah, promise."

"Alright, well. I sort of came to this school to learn how to, you know, shift between this form and my shark form and well..." he stuttered. "I don't really know how to do it... in freshwater -" he said. "Well, that's fine, right? They said you can swim either way." She shrugged. "Yeah, well, that's the problem. I've lived my entire life in Selachi, so I don't know how to swim.. well like this.'' He gestured to himself.

Red's face twitched. She was trying not to laugh but found it really funny to hear that. "You joined the swim team without a way to swim?" she asked, surprised. "I didn't think it would be an issue -" William defended. "Well, it is now, so you better find a solution -" she laughed.

"That's what I want to talk to you about." He said back. "Can you like - teach me how?" I asked. "Isn't that what the school is for? And besides, I don't know how to explain. It just comes natural to me -" she shrugged. William took a deep breath. "You still have some time. Maybe you can practice at the lake?" She suggested. "What, lake?"

"Didn't you know, there is a big lake a little off campus." She said, "A lot of people hang out around it. Maybe you can go there and practice." She suggested. "Wouldn't it be weird for me to just jump in the lake out of nowhere?" William said back.

"Well, I don't think so. You are a shark. After all, it's natural. And besides, a lot of students go there to swim." She said, "But I have to go now, I'll see you later?" William nodded. "Yeah, sure. Thanks..." She showed him a smile before walking off.

The lake, huh? It sounded like an idea. I'm not sure if it was a good idea. But really, there weren't many other options right now. This was his last chance to do something about it if he didn't want to look like a complete idiot on the team. So after thinking about it for a bit, he decided to give it a shot