Chapter Nine || Fly Team

Korbin let out a sigh as he stared up at the members of the fly team. They were busy trying out the obstacle course built above him. He wanted more than anything to go on it as well, but he wasn't part of the team, his role here was to help out around the ground, making sure supplies were filled and everything stayed organized.

"Hey, Newby, what are you doing?" One of the older members yelled, Korbin looked back at him before making his way over to the storage room with the box he was supposed to be taking there. "Right- sorry, I got distracted." He apologized as he placed the box on the table. "You're not here to look, you're here to work." The man said as he left Korbin alone in the room.

Korbin continued with his job as he emptied a box and put the contents away onto the shelves. It wasn't long before he heard voices from outside as the new members came back down. He put his things away and headed over to them. And to hide the fact that this wasn't working he brought water bottles for the group.

He handed everyone a bottle, and they all just took it without saying anything as if it was only natural for Korbin to give it to them. That is, all of them except the last person. "Here," Korbin said as he handed to bottle to a tall man. He had dark hair, even darker than Korbin did, with two horns sticking out of it. "Thanks, dude" He smiled back as he took the bottle. "No problem," Korbin smiled back. He was about to leave again when the man asked a question. "Why weren't you flying?" He asked. "Well, I'm not on the team" Korbnin explained. He wanted to be flying, but the course was made for members, and he wasn't a member.

The man drank his water before looking back down. "Wanna race?" he asked suddenly. Korbin looked up confused. What kind of question was that- of course, he did... but, "I don't think that's a good idea..." He said, fidgeting with the bottle he was holding, the man let out a laugh as he put the bottle down before opening his dragon wings. "Come on, it'll be fun." He grinned, "But-" Korbin was tired ut the man had already flown up to the start of the course.

Korbin looked around. The captain of the team seemed to be busy with the recruits now, so why not try? What's the worst that could happen? Korbin let out a sigh as he unfolded his wings before joining the man at the start line. "Okay? Ready?" Eh, the man looked back excitedly. Korbin nodded hesitantly as he turned to look forward. "Alright, One. two, three-!" As soon as he finished counting down they both flew off into the obstacle course.

Korbin fell behind at first, struggling to go through it fast. But he slowly got used to the movement, and started to enjoy the thrill, he ended up catching up to his opponent in no time. Just a few meters before the finish, Korbin even managed to overtake him, He stopped at the finish line, smiling brightly before the other man joined him. "Wow, mate, you're like, crazy fast!" The man said, catching his breath.

But Korbin wasn't paying attention, he was still coming down from the adrenaline rush. "That was awesome." He laughed, taking a few deep breaths in. "Yeah, maybe you should join the team." The man suggested. Korbin looked at him, his expression turning sad. "I wish I could-" He said.

"Sure you can, just ask the old man if you can join." The man said back. Korbin shook his head. "Unfortunately it doesn't  work that way, I have to go to this school to be on a team." He explained. "Well that's too bad, I suppose" the man shrugged. It was silent for a bit until he spoke up again. "I'm Zodes, nice to meet you-" He introduced himself, holding out his hand. Korbin smiled as he shook his hand. "I'm Korbin."

He turned to look down, noticing how everyone started talking to each other as the captain left the group."Right, I need to go get back to my chores now, before I'll get yelled at." Korbin said, tuning to Zodes. "Alright, good luck with that." He said back. Korbin turned back to the other and flew back down.

The rest of the day, he continued to do his chores. Mostly they were just, being bossed around by the fly team captain to move things around, making sure everything was ready for the new members. One of those things included running back into the school to grab snacks they had forgotten to grab earlier. And seeing he was the one there to do all the work, they sent him to go get it.

But Korbin didn't mind it that much, he liked helping people. This also gave him an excuse to go grab some fresh air. Even though they had been outside the whole day, he felt like he didn't have much time to really relax since the new members had shown up. That's why he had decided to take the long route. If any of the team captains asked he could just say he got lost, or couldn't find the snack right away.

But he ended up regretting this decision.

His detour through the forest eventually led him to the pool. He stopped once he saw people, subconsciously looking for a particular person. He spotted William, walking behind the storage building, but he wasn't alone. Right behind him, William was dragging someone else, someone Korbin hadn't seen before. But his colorful hair sure made him stand out.

He stopped in his tracks as he watched the two men turn behind the small building, they talked for a bit. But when Korbin finally felt the urge to go back towards them he saw how the stranger Pushed him back towards the wall, leaning in. It wasn't long before William kissed him.

Korbin stared back shocked at was he was seeing. A mix of emotions ran through him, but the biggest one had to be confusion. Without realizing he had turned around and was heading back towards the school. His head kept replaying what he had just seen. He tried his best to shake it off as he went to get the snacks for the fly team.

He got back to the course with the snacks. The rest of the day he spent watching the team members train, or more play than anything, this being the first day and all. He didn't have much to do, so he was mostly left alone with his thoughts. He didn't understand why he was feeling this easy, just that it felt bad.

So he was relieved when the day was finally over. He wanted nothing more than to just be back in his room. He helped the rest of the team clean up after the day they had before making his way back towards his house, this time taking the normal route.

He walked around the halls, deep in thought, trying to process these new emotions when he was snapped out of his thoughts by a voice. "Hi, Korbin. How are you-" He looked up to find Silvea and Zodes standing in front of him. "Oh- hi." He said back confused. "What's up dude, not looking so happy" Zodes asked worriedly. "Huh? No, I'm fine."Korbin said, forcing a smile. "Uh- huh-" Silvea said sarcastically. "W-what are you guys up to?" Korbina asked, changing the subject. "On our way to our room," Zodes said.

"By the way, have you seen William anywhere?" He asked. Korbin tensed at the name. "I- No. I haven't. Not since this morning..." He said, not wanting to think about what he had seen. "Alright, He'll probably show up somewhere," Silvea said. "Right-" Korbin smiled. "Wanna go and hang out with us?" Zodes asked. "No, I should go home now..." Korbin said back. "Well that's too bad then we should, however, hang out one day," Silvea said happily. "We should, but not now," Korbin said before taking a step back. "I'll talk to you guys later, bye." He turned around and headed back towards his place.

What was going on with him? That scene he witnessed kept playing in his head over and over. Was something wrong with him? Once he had reached the house he went straight for his room, dashing past Carter. He got in his room, closing the door behind him before walking up and dropping down on his bed. He let out a sigh as he stared at the ceiling. He wished he had just gone the normal route, why did he have to take a detour so bad?

But mostly, why was it bothering him so much? He met William just a  few days ago, and they were barely friends. Why did it hurt him so much to see him kiss someone else? He took a deep breath before covering his face with his arm. Things might get more complicated from here on out...