⁰⁴. ᵀʰᵉ ˢᵗʳⁱⁿᵍˢ ᵀʰᵃᵗ ᴮⁱⁿᵈ ᵁˢ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 || 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘚𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘉𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘜𝘴

HIS BROKEN SMILE AND BLURRY EYES WERE LOST IN TIME–MIND ELSEWHERE. Halo's of smoke brimming off the tip of his cigarette. It'd been the latest moment of peace Carter'd gotten since his arrival in this universe. From the first step, it'd been a lot of moving and not a lot of appreciation. But then again, what was there to appreciate about a world you'd seen go up in flames a handful of times?

Carter wasn't sure. He was still searching for the answer.

Now, even for a moment, he could appreciate the silence of the night. How the wind felt on his skin. The way the stars gleamed in the sky. He would take it all in for these few minutes until he'd end up walking back into that suffocating party.

It was downright detestable for Tony to be hosting parties at a time like this. His entire world could collapse in on itself but he'd rather drink champagne. Not that it was surprising to Carter. It isn't the first time and surely wouldn't be the last.

And Carter would give the man that much respect. He was good at hiding his feelings. Maybe it was from his years of being in charge of Stark Industries, but he held his cards close to his chest. A defining feature of the man that never dared change from the universe jumps.

Still, it didn't change the malice Carter felt in his heart. Willing to do anything besides having to face the music and interact with people he's watched die a handful of times. All in gruesome and disturbing ways of their own.

"I shouldn't be surprised to see you out here." Carter turned his head lazily to the door to find Nova. A red silk dress hugged her figure beautifully, pronouncing her curves more prominently. Her hair was up in a messy bun with two rogue strands framing her face perfectly. She always looked good.

But it didn't hide the noticeable amount of cybernetics along her back. Most of the dress hid it, but Carter could see the metal frame composed of intricate implants coursing the length. A faint glow of white was found past all the metal structure that was her body. Residing right where her heart would be.

The music blasting from the open door soon fell to the familiar muffle from the glass provided to the man that proved to be comforting in the despair that clung to the back of his mind.

"Why the hell are you out here?" He inquired before nodding to her outfit. "Might catch a cold dressed like that."

Nova hummed, filling the open space beside him, leaning against the railing. "It beats going inside–Tony's insistence on having parties every other month has been wearing me thin," she stated, glancing at the man. "I also wanted to get a few puffs off that."