¹⁵. ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᴴᵉʳᵉ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 || 𝘠𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘏𝘦𝘳𝘦

"MR. LOCKE, DID YOU HEAR ME?"

Carter blinked rapidly, looking up at Doctor Campbell, who he had been seeing for around a month or two. The man was kind and blunt in whatever information he had to give to any of his patients. His unapologetic way of doing things and lack of sugarcoating made Carter sign him in the first place.

Swallowing the cement lump in his throat, Carter nodded and rubbed the palm of his hands down his legs in harsh and slow brushes. "Y-Yeah. I heard you, Doc."

Campbell sighed, sitting on the stool beside the table Carter was sitting on. "I know this is a lot. I wish there were a better reason for all of this or a way around it, but there isn't."

Rubbing his hands together, Carter laughed as he glanced at the man. "Life just continues to throw curveballs even when we're at our worst, huh?"

"That could be one way to look at it. But you could see it as a chance to do the things you've always wanted. Be with the ones you love. Travel the world..."

The Doctor's words were drowned out by the beat of Carter's heart that echoed through his head. He wanted to laugh really. It felt like karma was coming back to bite him in the ass after years. Almost as if karma just wanted to get the final word in–tie off loose ends.

"Take these two times a day. When you wake up and before you go to bed. They'll buy you some time." Taking the bottle, Carter stared at the orange-tinted tablets. A shallow feeling erupts in his stomach as he exhales shakily. "I'll reach out if any of our Doctors can find any possible solutions to the problem, Carter. But take my advice. Do something for yourself."

Stuffing the prescribed pills in his pocket, he glanced in the Doctor's direction and nodded. "Thanks, Campbell."

Exiting the Doctor's office, Carter said farewell to the dozen nurses he'd seen the last 2 months. All of their names are known by heart from the repetitive visits he's had. It became one of the only places he could consider familiar.

Getting into his car, Carter pulled out of the parking lot and began to drive. Music faintly bubbled from the speakers with his mind drifting in and out of his thoughts. It was late. Nearly 10 PM, allowing him to zone out from the lack of traffic. Take in the lights that bounced off of puddles and the hood of his car.

It was peaceful.

Be with the ones you love...

Carter blinked rapidly, hoping to wash away the heat radiating from behind his eyes. Clenching his jaw, he turned up the music to drown out his thoughts.