¹³. ᵀʰᵉ ᶠᵘⁿ ᴳᵃᵐᵉ ᵒᶠ ᴾᵒˡⁱᵗⁱᶜˢ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 || 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘍𝘶𝘯 𝘎𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘗𝘰𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘴

THE LAB HAD BECOME CARTER'S FORM OF THERAPY. His mind devoted to whatever invention rested on the table in front of him with a display beside it, humming lively as he worked endlessly at whatever the task was. He loved the reliability of everything that surrounded him that he could fall back on if something messed up. He loved the tools that felt natural in his grasp, and he loved the goal of his inventions being something to help people around the world.

So, it'd seemed fitting for Carter to find sanctuary in the lab after the catastrophe in Nigeria. Putting his frustration toward his Cellar spider prototype. He was willing to do anything to avoid the news or Wanda. And it wasn't like he was unable to face responsibility because he'd gotten an earful from politicians about the creator Adrick had caused. But this was different.

There were lives taken that he couldn't save.

"Holy fuck! What the fuck is your goddamn problem?" Carter spat out in a rapid tirade of rough coughs into a tissue, staring at the screen. The code for the bot became mangled by conflicting inputs. Halting any level of improvement beyond powering on and the concept. Although its purpose was to help be a device for construction, all it was for him was a pain in the ass to deal with.

It'd been hours of this. Averting inputs and code to try and make the systems of the bot work. But still, it put up some form of restraint from his forceful commands. And it was proving to be more of a waste of time than beneficial. There could be a design with far more accessibility than these spider bots he made. Yet, his resolve didn't falter. Probably because of his natural born stubbornness that he could escape from.

Tony tried to always tell him that those moments of confusion and frustration were the beauty of creating something. And Carter believed him and that outlook. But it just seemed to be more annoying than a fun little challenge.