¹¹. ᴸᵉᵗᵗᵉʳ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᴬ ᴾʰᵃⁿᵗᵒᵐ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 || 𝘓𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘍𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘈 𝘗𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘰𝘮

DREW NEVER LIKED THE IDEA OF GRAVEYARDS. She knew she wasn't the only one that felt that way. The already sullen mood of the visitors was intensified by the sight of the headstones of people who had come before them and met their demise. Every time she came to visit the same old eroding headstone, it felt like phantoms danced around her.

And she wasn't one to believe in spirits or an afterlife. Just something about knowing that she was surrounded by markers of the dead struck an uncomfortable core. She always felt like she was being watched. Able to almost hear the fallen whispers of their history and how they had been brought beyond the mortal coil.

Her mother would likely spew some empty bullshit about their loved ones looking down on them. But Drew was skeptical of it all. And that was entirely her father's fault.

"Your smile doesn't quite reach." The girl jumped, turning to find a hooded figure standing at the grave beside her.

But letting out a breath, Drew turned her attention to the headstone. Brushing the off-putting atmosphere to her lack of grounding in reality. "Does yours?" She asked, a smile flashing across her lips. "I don't think we're supposed to come to a graveyard and smile the whole time."

The plot of restored soil was fresh with the headstone not having as many weathered features as the one she stood in front of. So, she couldn't help but scoff at their prior assessment.

"I remember a time when my sister jumped out of our moving car because I was imposing the belief that we were all already dead." Drew lifted her gaze to the man, frowning. He laughed, shaking his head. "She really thought she wouldn't get hurt doing some of the stupidest shit. Still, even when her hands and knees were bleeding, she boasted about my belief was nothing but horse shit."

Drew felt her lips part, immediately clamping shut as she looked back at the headstone. She remembers a time when Carter did some stupid shit to try and combat her outlook. He'd always been a kid who tried to pressure others to see the way he did. It's probably why he ended up being some big hotshot scientist. It's also probably why he distanced himself and fell out of touch with so many.

The thing was, Drew never blamed him for deciding to divert his path from their shared journey. He had aspirations Drew had encouraged him to follow. But some part of her had hoped they would be by one another's side. At least until one of them got married. Yet, Carter never showed signs of wanting that type of life and something told Drew it was because of how he acted.

Maybe to save others from himself...

"A friend?" He glanced at her, seeing her nod toward the headstone.