Part 11

Avneet yawned and opened her eyes slowly taking her time to adjust the dim light of the morning sun in the room. The birds were awake already and were chirping loudly. She looked beside her expecting to see Vaishnavi, but she was missing. 

She felt scared for a moment but then thought the other way. 
"Maybe she has gone to the washroom."

There was no attached washroom in the room. She looked at herself in the mirror and fixed her hair to not look like a mad person. 

"Oh dear, you have woken up!" a voice exclaimed. 
She looked behind and smiled at the older female. 

Avu- Good morning aunty.
Mrs. Rao smiled back. 

Mrs. Rao- Good Morning beta, well Vaishnavi has gone downstairs to prepare tea for everyone, you must take your brush and get freshened up quickly else the tea will cool down. 

Avu- Oh okay. 
She took her brush and went to the washroom downstairs. She brushed her teeth not before greeting Mr. Rao. 

She went to Vaishnavi who was now pouring the hot tea from the pot to the earthen cups. 

Avu- Why didn't you call me didi? 
Yes, she has already gotten comfortable with the elder girl. Who wouldn't? She was so sweet and caring after all. 

Vaishnavi chuckled at the younger's complain. 
Vai- Oh I didn't want to wake you up. You look so cute when you sleep. 

Avu- Not a good excuse. 
Vaishnavi drenched the pot with water which she has fetched from their well. The place is not totally occupied with modern technologies yet, so this wasn't hectic for them. 

Vai- Alright Maharani (queen) it's totally my fault. Now help me serve the tea. 
She nodded and followed her. 

Mr. Rao was sitting on his chair by the open veranda and took a sip to the tea with his eyes still glued on the newspaper. 
Mrs. Rao, Vaishnavi and Avneet sat on stools at a distance from Mr. Rao. 

Mrs. Rao- Avneet, you aren't feeling uncomfortable. Are you? 
Avu- Not at all Aunty ji. 

Vai- And oh Avneet, today my grandma will be coming back from my paternal aunt's house. She actually blabbers a bit don't mind her. She is still back dated. She isn't at fault though. Nothing to blame her. 

Avu- It would be my pleasure to meet him. 
Vai- I will prepare some warm water for you, go take a bath. You should bath by early morning. 

Avu- Okay. 
Mrs. Rao- Have you ever seen our village closely Avneet? 

Avu- N-no aunty ji... I was always locked in my uncle's home and then h-he b-bought me f-from unc-le t-to ha-have p-pleasure... 

Vaishnavi patted her back sensing the girl is uncomfortable. 
Vai- Calm down sister... He is a moron. You are no where at fault, don't be afraid.... You are safe here. 

Avu- W-what if he c-comes here? 
Vaishnavi chuckled. 

Vai- I will make you wear a wig and do some makeup so he won't even understand. Though we don't have a tradition of wearing western clothes here, you can still try out some. Maybe wearing them will make you the most different from you are now. 

Avneet calmed hearing that. Maybe she is just over thinking. 

Avu- I am sorry... I- I am ju-st bothering y-you all too much. 
Mrs. Rao- Avneet I swear I will slap you if you ever say that again. What kind of a statement is that huh? You know, the home feels so lively to have you.

Avneet smiled. 
Vai- Okay I am heating the water. Get ready Avneet! You can take my clothes. We will go and buy some for you today okay? 

"Now go have a bath. Vaishnavi, you have school too!"
Mrs. Rao reminded the girls. Vaishnavi was a primary teacher. 
_____

Siddharth went to Abhishek's tea stall. He served him with a cup of tea and both were equally eager to have a talk though they couldn't because there were other customers too. 

Soon, after they left, Siddharth cleared his throat. 

Sid- I have found a way. 
Abhi- Share it, hurry!

Siddharth took a deep breathe and split out his plan. Abhishek's eyes widened.

Abhi- Are  you mad! She has just began to trust you! If you do this she will probably misunderstand you! No no Ashu think of some other plan. 

Sid- I have had a thought about it, but I find no alternate way. 
Abhi- Don't tell me you are so desperate to do it! Stop it idiot. 

He took some breathe. 
Abhi- Listen, go somewhere and think calmly. You will find a better way. 

Siddharth gulped the last peg of tea. 
Sid- Maybe you are right. I don't want it this way either. 

He threw the cup on the dustbin.
______________
Vaishnavi's grandmother returned to their home. Because she was very stereotypical and superstitious, Mr. Rao insisted his family to tell her everything except the part where Asmit bought her.

Avneet touched the feet of her grandmother. She was happy to see the new girl knows some values. 

Grandma- Live long dear, live long. Vaishnavi, won't you introduce me to her properly? 
Vaishnavi nodded. 

Vai- Dadiji (grandma), this is Avneet. She is staying here for a few days. And Avu, this is my grandma. 

Vaishnavi shifted closer to her grandma and whispered though, it was loud enough for her to hear. 

Vai- You remember dadiji, that Asmit's men has eyes on her so you cannot reveal about her identity. 
Her grandma frowned.

Grandma (yell)- What do you think I have grown that much old to forget everything now huh? You were born that day young lady, and now you are teaching me how to hide things? Tsk tsk! I have always been a pro in these. 

Avneet smiled. They are truly great people. 
As it was evening already, it was time for another round of tea. 

Mr. Rao was busy with his work so the women sat in the indoor and discussed about household. 

Grandma- Vaishnavi is already twenty four. When are you planning to get her married?       
She was never fond of love marriages, so Vaishnavi's mom has told her that they themselves has chosen Abhishek for her.

Avneet grew anxious listening to this. 
Mrs. Rao- Just trying to keep her with us as long as possible mother. Abhishek will  take her, today or tomorrow.

The old lady smiled. 
Grandma- Oh our girl is so grown up. Vaishnavi, you should listen to everything he says. A husband is someone the wives should worship. 

She looked at Mrs. Rao.
Grandma- Your girl is so stubborn at times that she doesn't listen to us. You better change this. You should never go against Abhishek, Vaishnavi beta. I am afraid this attitude of yours will lead you suffer. 

Vaishnavi tried her best not to fake her smile. 
Vaish- Avneet, come to my room. We have to buy dresses for you tomorrow so lets check out which type of dress you like. 

She went upstairs. Avneet felt awkward not knowing what to do. She smiled at grandma and followed Vaishnavi. 

Grandma- Watch your daughter bahu (here; daughter-in-law).
Mrs. Rao- Mother, the generation has changed. Now both men and women are treated equal. They are girls of this age, they...

Grandma- Don't teach me bahu! I know better. 
She stood up. 

Grandma- I want the best for my granddaughter. I don't want her to give Abhishek any chance to hit her. Because I know how much it hurts. 
Mrs. Rao stayed quite. She didn't know what else to say. 
_________

Avneet looked at Vaishnavi and gulped her saliva.

Avu- Di... will-will you really get married to Abhishek bhaiya?
Vaishnavi looked her her with confused orbs.

Vai- Today or tomorrow... I will surely get married to him. He loves me and I love him.
Avneet nodded.

She looked lost. Vaishnavi thought to ignore it. She had a lot other things to discuss with Avneet.