Part 18

Siddharth was setting the bed. Avneet was in Vibha's room, probably talking about their own topics. They have bonded well in a few hours and Siddharth was glad about that. He neither wanted Avneet to feel uncomfortable nor Vibha to accept Avneet being forced by the situation. He shall have no worries now. 

It has been so long since he slept on a bed. He used mattress in his truck with a rolled up towel and here, he has his not to soft and fluffy but comfortable bed with pillows and a blanket. Thinking about the mattress, the memory of his truck flashed upon on his mind. The truck was his emotion. It has been his home since two years or maybe a little more.  

His chain of thoughts were broken as the ringing sound of the phone caught his attention. He smiled seeing the caller id. It was Abhishek. He has changed his SIM not to get caught by Asmit's men as they can track his location. Only a few knew about his new number. 

He picked up the call. 
"Hello my dear brother! I think you are missing me... Well-" Siddharth's words were cut off as Abhishek spoke up.

"Siddharth, Asmit's men has seen you heading to Mumbai with Avneet. I heard Asmit is planning something big. The news of you and Avneet is totally spread over our village. Her uncle and aunt have contacted Asmit too," Abhishek paused a little.

"And I heard they will be bringing Avneet back to them by their ways." Abhishek completed. 

Siddharth felt numb for a while. It wasn't even a day since they arrived Mumbai and so much has already happened there. 

"Bhaiya, how did you know all these? Don't tell me you are risking your life and..." Siddharth sighed. 

"You can't tell me what to do. I am still angry on you for leaving this place but right now, I will forgive you just for the sake of your safety," Abhishek spoke back. 

"I had to leave that place... sooner or later. But please don't put your life on risk. Think about Vaishnavi di," Siddharth pleaded. 

"I am not risking my life, don't worry. Tell me, did your mom and Avneetay bond well?" Abhishek chuckled. "Or should I visit there to watch a drama like Indian saas-bahu (mother-in-law and daughter-in-law) serials?"

"They really bonded well. I feel lonely now," Siddharth complained. 

They had a silence. None were happy to leave each others company. They loved each other more than siblings does. They knew, one day they will get separated yet their heart wanted them to get old together watching their families laughing with each other.

"So, what will you do now?" Abhishek questioned.
"I think I will have to marry her as soon as possible so that the legal documents can stand by our side," Siddharth sighed twice.

"At this point, I don't even know what should I tell you. But yeah. think twice or even more before you put your plans into actions," Abhishek advised. 

With that, they disconnected the call wishing each other a good night. At that moment, Avneet entered the room. She didn't enter rather stood by the door waiting for Siddharth to notice her. She was too shy to speak. 

Siddharth had to talk with Vibha, he needed to get the marriage done as soon as possible. He took a step towards the door when he noticed her.

"How long have you been standing here... Why didn't you come in?" he asked.

Avneet was confused. Aren't the wives supposed to knock the door and enter only if their husbands permit? They aren't married yet but... They will be married to each other soon.

"I-" 
"Go in, I will be back in a moment," he said and went out of the room. 

He looked disturbed. Avneet worried if it was because of her. Was he not pleased by any of her action? But she is doing the way her aunt has explained the scenario of the wives.

She saw the bed was set properly. Was he angry because he had to do it when it is the work of Avneet?
_____

"Mom, I- I have something to say," Siddharth gazed at the floor. 
"Yes, son?"

"Mom, that bloody f- I mean Asmit's men found out about us being in Mumbai. M-mom can we have the marriage as soon as possible?" he felt guilty. 

"Siddharth..." her voice was calm. 
"Take a seat."

Siddharth sat on the floor by Vibha's feet. 
"Look at me..."

Siddharth looked up at Vibha. 

"I know that you are feeling guilty for not being able to experience love and get married all of a sudden. You must be thinking that I accepted Avneet because I didn't want to turn you down."

Siddharth wondered how could his mom read him like an open book.

"But, I am not forced at all. When I heard the excitement in your voice the day you told me you have liked a girl, I was sure she is not someone whom I will be ashamed to introduce as my daughter-in-law."

"You have rejected a lot of proposals, when you were in college and school. So I knew she had something to make you a mad puppy for her. Today, after seeing and talking with her, I can guarantee you that she is someone who is  genuine. I know she lacks education and her mind is filled with stereotypes, but... love isn't perfect right? You need to break and heal each other to make it unbreakable."
Vibha caressed his hair. 

"I don't have any problem with her. I really liked her. And I know this isn't how you wanted your marriage to be, but its okay. Once you get stable financially, you can have an official wedding. Maybe by that time, she will feel something for you too?" Vibha smiled. 

"Thank You mom," Siddharth said hugging her. 
He felt relieved. He wasn't happy to marry the love of his life just by signing in some papers, but maybe Vibha is right. He should earn her love by then and can get to know each other. Maybe then they can take a step? An official step to join their hearts?
Further, he needed to be stable financially. 

"She must be waiting... go. What I have known is that she is traditional and her mindset is also made up  like some oldie, but you both can mend each other," Vibha's words were really true and her voice was calming.

"Can we get the marriage done tomorrow or maybe.. as soon as possible?" Siddharth explained  about Avneet's uncle and aunt trying to find her.

"I will talk with my friend. Her husband might help us. Don't worry, things will go good..."Vibha smiled.

He felt too proud and happy to have a mom like her. He will surely be an ideal son. 
Someone who can give her luxury, happiness, peace and .... maybe a grand daughter?
_____
Siddharth went to his bedroom with a happy smile. He found Avneet standing by the bed side looking intensely at the floor. 

He faked his cough to let her be aware of his presence. She immediately looked at him, but once again, she gazed at the floor. 

"What is so beautiful about my floor?" he smiled and asked. 
Seeing his smile she felt a little relief. 

"Weren't you angry at me?" she questioned.
"When was I angry on you?" he questioned back. 

She shifted her gaze back to the floor.
"W-when you went to that room I thought you are angry. I will set the bed everyday right from tomorrow, I promise."

"Huh? Why? We both can do it according to the situation. If you are tired or busy I would do it and vice versa. What is a big deal about it?" he was confused. 

She looked at him with a confusing gaze too. 
They decided not to think much about it. Siddharth had already done his bed chores so he laid down leaving enough space for her. 
"It's quite night. Lets sleep. We might have a long day tomorrow," he said. 

She nodded. She felt too shy to lay beside him, but they were getting married. She shrugged her thoughts off and with her slow steps.... she laid down.

"Shall I switch the table lamp off?" he asked. 
"S-sure," she replied.

He turned off the table lamp and the room was filled with darkness. It wasn't completely dark though, a little beam of light invaded the room.

"Good Night, if you need something do let me know."
"Good Night..."
_