✩ Chapter 13 ✩

Word count: 1771 words

"This is going to be a fun night."

Your heart raced as you tried to think on what you should do. How can you stop him from attacking them?

"Mitsuri, hide behind me."

Obanai quickly stepped in front of Mitsuri and extended his hand, covering Mitsuri. He glared angrily at Muzan who laughed at him and stood in between of you and your friends. 

"Ah, playing the brave soldier, are we? It doesn't matter since you all are no match for me, after all."

You could tell Obanai was nervous. He knew very well that he couldn't defeat Muzan. And since the fireworks started already, nobody would notice the fight going on. Obanai reached for his sword and stood his stance.

"Serpent Breathing. Third Fo-"

Before he could finish, blood suddenly spurted from his back in the blink of the eye. 

"What...?"

Obanai fell down, not being able to comprehend what just happened, while screaming in pain. Mitsuri's eyes widened in surprise seeing one of the strongest Hashira on the ground and she was also confused as Muzan didn't move an inch from his spot. She then lifted her head but before she managed to fix her eyes on the Demon King, she too, was slashed deeply in the shoulder. At that moment, the both of them knew, they definitely could not defeat him.

"Mitsuri... Your shoulder..."

"Iguro-san! A-are you okay?"

"Hmph, such weak humans. And you call yourself Hashiras?"

"M-Muzan... Please..."

You knew you had to do something. But the sight of your injured friends made you feel nauseous and dizzy. You tried to remind yourself to keep it together as you clenched your fists.

"I guess eliminating two Hashiras would be the best part of this festival, no?"

"I won't let you touch Mitsuri anymore."

"Such determination. Give it up, weakling. You know you are no match for me."

Obanai stood up slowly as he tried to take his stance despite his deep injury. 

"I-Iguro-san..."

Obanai lifted his sword and you could see determination written in his eyes.

"I'm ashamed on how I wasn't able to protect her. But that won't happen anymore. As long as I live, I won't let you lay a finger on her." 

"So all I need to do is to kill you first, right? Easy."

With those words, Obanai's sword shattered to pieces. Then he fell to the ground once more with a heavy thud. You saw him screaming while holding his now bleeding leg. It seemed like Muzan had made a terribly deep wound on his calf that it nearly cut his leg off. Tears ran down Mitsuri's face as she tried to prop herself up and took out her sword.

"Mi-Mitsuri... Don't fight him..."

"L-Love Breathing..."

"Mitsuri! No!!"

Mitsuri dropped her sword and tried to keep herself standing. Your entire body trembled as you saw blood dripped down her face from her temple. At the horrible sight, Obanai tried to get back up once more even though he knew no matter what he did, it would be useless. 

"I-Iguro-san, don't force yourself! Please!!"

"I-I have to do it, for your sake."

"Well, this is entertaining. Trying to protect each other, what a stupid thing humans do. I guess I'd like to see you suffer a little more before I finish the both of you off."