Chapter 1-Doc

Since Prez was having a hard time concentrating, they cut their meeting short and they all walked down to the clinic to talk to Doc and to find out how David was doing. They found David laying face down on the exam table with Doc stitching up some particularly deep gashes on the young man's back. They didn't have to go close to see how badly his back was torn up and they all wanted to kill his father for doing that to him after they spent time losing their last meal.

The kid was high as a kite and all of the men began to laugh when David called out to them "Hey guys! How's it hangin'?" Then he began to laugh like what he had said was hysterically funny. Then he looked around as much as he could and said "Did your daddy whip you too? Don't worry, doc here has some won-dear-ful med- eye-sin. I ain't never felt so goooooood in all my........ ZZZZZZZZZZZ." David had fallen asleep mid sentence and started snoring loudly.

"Finally! I was beginning to think I was going to have to give him another shot just to shut him up. Someone had better go make sure the guns are all locked up and that his mama can't get to a vehicle because I'm sure if she can, she's going to kill her husband. She got mad as a hornet when she saw this.

That bastard really did a number on this poor boy and from what I can see, he's been doing it for a long time. His entire backside is covered in scars, even his butt. It makes it twice as hard to stitch the new wounds closed so I'm using surgical glue and butterfly stitches but he's going to have to keep still for a while or we'll be back to square one again.

I didn't get much of a chance to talk to her but David told me that his mother is the one who usually had to stitch them up so she must have some medical training or is an unbelievable seamstress because the stitching here, from what I can see, was very good. Some of the best I've ever seen, in fact." Doc said with admiration in his voice.

"If she was stitching her boys, I wonder who was stitching her up?" Prez said and was shocked when Doc whipped around to look at him with a look of pure fury on his face.

"Are you telling me that that bastard beat Melinda like this?" Doc demanded and when Prez nodded, Doc shouted, "I'll kill him!"

"Whoa! Doc! Calm down. Don't worry. We are going to take care of Mr. Bertram Collins as well as the other bastards in Jacob's church group. After dinner tonight, I'm going to call for church. You can attend if you'd like. In fact, I'd like you to be there to see some pictures. It will help prepare you for what you might see in person, later on." Prez said. Judging by Doc's reaction, he had found a love match in Melinda Collins but knew Doc well enough to know that he, like himself, would not act on it until she was free of her husband. "But what I came here for first was to find out if the kid is going to be alright?"

Doc was breathing hard but after a moment he just nodded, took another couple of deep breaths and then turned back to what he was doing.

"Doc? Do you have any idea where Melinda went?" Prez asked tentatively.

Doc just shook his head but did not turn around or look at them. His hands were still shaking slightly and he had to lean against the table for a moment to get himself under control as images of that beautiful woman's back being torn up like her son's and he felt a rage like he had never felt before rush through him over and over again.

Doc's entire life had been dedicated to helping people so this feeling of wanting to hurt someone to the point of killing them unnerved him and made him feel sick to his stomach and he couldn't even try to speak as he repeatedly swallowed large mouthfuls of air.

Knowing that they had upset Doc, they all turned and left the infirmary, unknowingly leaving a very confused Doc to finish up with his patient.

Doc stood there unmoving for at least a full minute trying to figure out what had come over him. He had never felt such a rage in all of his life. But why? Why had he reacted like that? He'd never seen her before today. But when he had seen her, she had taken his breath away.