Chapter 2-Prez tells the wives to vote

For both of them, by unspoken admission, dinner was over much too quickly and it seemed like no time at all, Edmond and Daniel came into the infirmary and told Doc, "Prez has called for church Doc. He said to remind you that he wants you there." Edmond told him.

"Melinda, Daniel. You are welcome to stay here with David. I'm not sure how long I'm going to be but I'll be back. If he wakes up, keep him still. If he's in pain, Daniel, come knock on the meeting room door and I'll come give him more pain killers. Sleep is the best thing for him right now." Doc told them.

"Shouldn't he eat something?" Melinda asked.

"No, not yet. The IV I have him on will give him all the nutrients he needs and having food in his stomach might cause him to throw up. If at all possible, I don't want him to move at all for at least 24 hours." Doc said.

"It sure is good to know that someone besides me and Daniel care about what happens to him. Thank you, Aaron." Melinda said.

Doc just smiled at her and then followed Edmond out of the infirmary after he had collected their dirty dinner dishes. As they walked down the hall together, Edmond grinned at Doc as he said "She's very pretty and nice, Doc."

"Yes, she is." Doc grinned back at him. "I can't believe anyone could treat her and her boys like that." He said just before he joined everyone in the meeting room.

Melinda sat down with her youngest son at the table where she and Doc had been eating dinner.

"Mom? What's going to happen to us now? Where are we going to go?" Daniel asked.

"I don't know yet, son. I'm just happy to finally be out of there. What do you think we should do?" Melinda asked. She and her sons have always been close. She would consider their opinions since David was already of age to be on his own and Daniel would be soon. They are not babies anymore, they were full grown and after what they had all been through, they deserved a say in what happens to them now.

"I think I'd like to stay here and prospect for the MC. I met a man in the dining room that has some of the most awesome tattoos on his body. I told him I like to draw and he asked to see something I've drawn so I showed him some of my pictures that I had in my school bag.

He says I have talent and if I'm interested, he'd teach me how to do tattoo's. He told me how much money he makes doing tattoo's and it's a lot more than I would make drawing anywhere else." Daniel told her, trying to make her see that it might be a good option for him. He showed her the pictures he had shown Inker.

"These are very good, son. I wish I had your talent in drawing." Melinda said.

"Inker said my shading needs some work but he will show me how." Daniel said.

"So does that mean you want to stay here?" Melinda asked.

"Yeah. But what about you? Where do you want us to go?" Daniel asked.

"That's just the thing, Danny. I don't know. I don't have any family left besides you boys and I wouldn't be happy living far away from you. But we don't have to decide right now. Let's wait until David wakes up and is back on his feet before we make any lasting decisions. Okay?" Melinda said. She was feeling so confused right now.

The fact that she is technically married to Bertram made her feel afraid to even consider anything right now. She was terrified that he was going to find them and knew that if he did, he would be furious that they had tried to run from him. He had already left evidence of what he would do to them on David's back. Melinda knew that if he caught her, there was a very good chance she would not survive the beating he would inflict on her this time.