Chapter 8

"Welcome to New York!" Thor shouted, looking like a small child showing their parents or siblings what they made.

Freya looked around and saw that they were standing on top of a tall building, appearing to be the tallest in this city. On the streets below Freya could see MIdgardians going about their daily business.

She never really liked Midgard but it was better than spending the rest of her life in a cell on Asgard, or having to slaughter innocent Asgardian guards who were just following orders, right?

Thor led them inside an elevator that brought them down a couple floors. When they stepped out Thor hung his hammer on a rack that was mounted on the wall. A bunch of people looked up, mistrust clearly evident on all of their faces.

"Thor, who's this? You only told us you were going to bring your brother, not some random girl," Tony protested, looking really mad at Thor.

"I am not just some random girl. I could beat all of you even without my magic so consider your next words very carefully, mortal," Freya snapped, glaring at Tony. She thought that since she could see at least two women sitting with them, that they wouldn't judge her based on stereotypes like everyone else had too.

She smirked when she saw how the man's face blanched and he took a step back.

"Everyone, this is Freya. She is an excellent warrior and part of the Phoenix prophecy, which says that once every 100.000 years someone with a strong soul will become the Phoenix, granting them control over fire and enhanced fighting abilities, just like the Aesir, Asgardian gods," Thor explained.

"What did you do to earn yourself the cuff?" Steve asked, gesturing to the cuff around Freya's wrist. They all knew what Loki had done but they were still clueless regarding Freya.

"Got kidnapped when I was six and then tortured and mind controlled for the next one thousand years," Freya said. It was the truth but she also knew that nobody would actually believe her.

"And why should we believe you?" Nat questioned, setting the gun she was cleaning aside.
"You could read my mind but I highly doubt that anyone here except myself and Loki can do that"

"I can," Wanda stood up and walked towards Freya and Loki. Vision obviously followed Wanda, wanting to make sure that you wouldn't hurt her.

"Go ahead then. And whilst you're at it, you can also check for yourself what Loki was doing the year before the attack on this city," Freya was surprised, but without her magic she also couldn't sense other people's magic.

Everyone's heads snapped to Loki, who was glaring at Freya. She knew that he didn't want them to know since he didn't like being pictured as a victim but it was best for all of them if the mortals knew the truth.

"Alright then," Wanda reached forward and placed her fingers on Freya's temples. "Still need physical contact to read my mind? Amateur," Freya teased with a smirk.

Then she felt Wanda enter her mind and jumped back when she recognized her powers to come from the mind stone Thanos always used to mind control her.

Freya pressed herself against the wall behind her, her eyes wide and her breathing heavy. She fell to her knees when the still fresh memories resurfaced again, despite all her efforts to block them out. And without her magic she couldn't do much. She couldn't even focus enough to melt the cuff on her wrist without setting everyone else around her on fire.

"Freya!" Loki rushed to her and dropped down in front of her. He pulled Freya into his arms and glared at Wanda. "What did you do to her?" he snarled, uncaring of the fact that he was pretty defenceless without his magic and that it might not be the best idea in the world to get angry at these people when they could easily kill him now that he couldn't use his magic.

Wanda gave no reply and just stared at Freya trembling in Loki's arms, like the rest of the team. Thor took a step towards them, but stopped when Loki glared at him.

"Freya what's going on?" Loki asked, concerned. "That- that power-," Freya stuttered, looking over to Wanda, the terror evident in her eyes. She buried her face in Loki's chest and held onto him as if he was the only thing keeping her alive.

Loki then realized that Wanda's magic probably reminded Freya of Thanos' mind control. He just held her close whilst she calmed down, running his hand through her black hair.

A few minutes later Freya had finally calmed down. The Avengers still hadn't done anything at all, they only watched in silence.

Freya slowly pulled away from Loki's embrace, taking a few unsteady breaths. Loki stood up and pulled her up with him. He kept his arm around Freya's shoulders, providing her with the strength she desperately needed.

"Where- where did you get those powers?" Freya asked Wanda. "They come from the mind stone. It's one of the-," Wanda explained, but stopped when she noticed the terrified look on Freya's face, proving that she knew exactly what the mind stone was and what it did.

"You- you're not with Thanos, right?"

"Thanos? Who is that?"

Freya allowed herself to relax when Wanda said she had no idea who Thanos was. Freya believed her, she knew how to spot a lie and Wanda was definitely not lying.

"A mad titan that believes that by erasing half of the life in the universe, the other half will prosper," she explained, aware that nobody would believe her.

"Now that we settled that, can Wanda finally read your mind?" Tony asked, an annoyed expression on his face.

Freya moved a bit closer to Loki at that. Even though she knew that Wanda wasn't with Thanos, she still didn't trust the power of the mind stone.

Wanda held her hands up in surrender. "I won't read your mind if you don't want to. We won't hurt you, I promise"

It wasn't much, but at least it was something. At least someone that didn't want to kill her and Loki. Freya wasn't happy about the whole situation, since her first impression of Midgard had been a reencounter with the same power that mind controlled her for nearly 1.000 years.

"Come, let me show you to your rooms," Thor said and started walking towards a hallway across the room. Freya and Loki followed him and were aware of the presence of nearly the entire team following them.

"This is your room, brother," Thor said, pointing at a door. "And this is your room, Lady Freya," he added, pointing at the door on the other side of the hallway.

"Hold up. I don't think it's a good idea to let these two be near each other," Tony protested.

"Yeah, better lock us up in a cell, right?" Freya snapped, glaring at Tony. "What do you expect us to do? Tear this whole place down and kill you or what? Because I'm done with killing innocents now that I'm free of the control of the mind stone"

Tony remained silent at that, surprised at Freya's outburst. Freya turned around and walked into her room, closing the door behind her. 

1199 words