Chapter 12

The first thing Loki felt when he entered Freya's mind was cold darkness. He had entered people's minds before but it was never this dark or cold. Usually the cold wouldn't bother him, since he was a frost giant but here in Freya's mind he was freezing.

A few seconds of falling later he landed on rocky ground, immediately recognizing the place as Thanos' sanctuary. He would've liked to say that he wasn't scared, but the truth was that he was terrified. Terrified of this place, of Thanos. But Freya was somewhere here and he had to get her out somehow.

Loki could hear footsteps from behind a large boulder and froze when he remembered the countless times he had heard these footsteps before and what usually followed.

He carefully turned around, but froze when he saw what was going on. He was too late.

Thanos was holding Freya up by her neck and threw her into a corner, before he turned around and left again. When Thanos walked right in front of Loki without noticing him, he remembered that this was a memory and that it couldn't actually harm him or Freya.

Once Thanos was gone, Loki hurried towards Freya's figure, dropping to the ground beside her. Loki fought back the memories of him in Freya's place whilst he checked for a pulse, which was there, but it wasn't as strong as he would've liked.

He gently pulled Freya into his arms, trying to wake her up, but she remained unconscious. He didn't even want to imagine what horrors Thanos put her through, as he usually knew how to keep people conscious.

Loki didn't care about blood covering his clothes, he didn't care about the freezing cold around him, he only cared about the woman in his arms, which wasn't waking up.

It felt like an eternity later when Freya finally opened her eyes. She immediately jumped away from Loki, pressing herself against the wall.

"Freya, it's me. I won't hurt you." Loki reassured her, holding up his hands to show he was unarmed. And this time he really was. He tried to heal Freya with his magic, but it didn't work. He couldn't use magic here, so he needed to find a different way of getting Freya out of this memory.

Loki slowly moved a bit closer to Freya, stopping at about one meter away from her. Freya still didn't seem to recognize him and Loki knew that it might make everything worse if he tried to move any closer to her.

Freya blinked a few times, trying to figure out who this man was and why he knew her name. After a few seconds she finally remembered everything. Her escape. Asgard. Loki. The Avengers. Wanda reading her mind.

Freya gasped when she noticed the terror in Loki's eyes, realizing that he had entered her mind to help her, even if it meant having to relive all these painful memories.

She shot up from her spot on the couch, Loki next to her doing the same. Loki knew that the last thing that Freya wanted was to show weakness in front of others, even though she wasn't weak at all, so he grabbed her and teleported both of them to his room.

"JARVIS, can you please tell them that we're in my room and that if they enter this room, I will not hesitate to kill them." Loki requested, setting Freya down on his bed. (Don't. I know what you're thinking. Stop it)

"Yes, of course." JARVIS answered. Once he was sure none of the mortals or his brother would barge into his room, he sat down next to Freya, wrapping his arms around her. She was still frozen from reliving the memory with Thanos, so she didn't even react to his touch.

Loki was still shaken himself, but he knew that what Freya had experienced was so much worse, so he tried his best to hide the fact he was terrified as well. He knew that Freya needed him right now, even if she would never admit it and he wouldn't help her if he showed just how terrified he actually was.

After a while Freya had calmed down again and pulled away from Loki again. "Sorry, it's just-" she whispered, looking down to the floor.

"Don't ever apologize for something like this. None of it is your fault and you know it. It's entirely Thanos' fault, don't ever blame anything on yourself that you didn't have a choice in." Loki interrupted Freya, making her look back up at him.

Loki just stared at her for a few seconds, getting lost in her golden eyes, until he remembered the situation and that he really shouldn't be admiring her right now.

Freya remained silent for a while, not noticing the way Loki was looking at her. "Thank you." she said, so silent that she wasn't even sure if she actually said it out loud.

"What?" Loki asked, blinking a few times to get back to reality. He silently cursed himself for not hearing what Freya had said, usually he would have heard it easily thanks to his enhanced hearing.

"Thank you. For getting me out of that memory." Freya repeated, turning around to face Loki. Once again, she couldn't help but wonder why he was so beautiful. For some reason, she really wanted to braid his hair. Freya didn't dwell too much on this thought, since Loki spoke again.

"I think you should also thank Stark for letting me use my magic again."

"I'm not thanking him because I'm sure he was one of the people insisting on those awful cuffs. I'm used to not being able to access my magic, but you're now and I know how awful of a feeling it is."

"I've experienced worse."

Freya smiled sadly, knowing what he was referring to. At that moment she really wanted to hug him, but she wasn't sure if he would be comfortable with it. He did hug her multiple times, but then it was usually to calm her down from a nightmare, and that was something different, right?

"Why did you do that?" Freya asked, playing with the hem of her shirt.

"Did what?"

"Why did you enter my memory to get me out? Why would you do that if you knew what the memory was about? If you knew that it would remind you of your own time with Thanos?"

"You might not believe me, but I care about you Freya, I knew what I was doing, what would await me if I entered your memory, but what you experienced was so much worse and you don't need any reminders of it, you already had way more than enough of it."

Freya knew that Loki was her friend, that he would help her if she needed him, but that he would even remember his time with Thanos to help her, that was something Freya never thought possible.

"Thank you." she said, wrapping her arms around Loki's neck, burying her face in the crook of his neck. Loki didn't hesitate in hugging her back, gently running his hand through her hair. Freya relaxed under his touch, unaware of the enormous amount of butterflies Loki was feeling.

1183 words

Maybe I will post another update tomorrow or saturday if I'm feeling productive, but I wouldn't be too sure of that. Anyhow, I will be going to Spain next week, so I won't be able to post then. Just so that you know not to expect any updates next week.