La Brea

I decided to continue reading the book. A couple hours passed. I was immersed in the world of pre-war Paris. I wondered, what is it like there now? Is it the same as what we have here: life in fragments? Or is everything normal there and people continue to walk past the arch and the tower, hurrying for a cup of coffee with a friend? I don't know, probably never will. My thoughts were dispelled when Troy walked in.

"It's time to go, just tell me where exactly, okay?" Troy took off his military uniform. He was now wearing a plaid shirt and khaki pants.

"We're going to L.A."

"Farther than I thought."

"Change your mind?"

"No, I'll just get some more gas and water," he shrugged.

"You're a hard man to scare," I smirked and slammed the book shut, "then I'm ready to go."

"Write a note, leave it with your parents, there's no telling when we'll be back. Tell them you've decided to come with me to find Clara."

I nodded affirmatively and went to get a pen. As I wrote, he stood leaning against the wall and stared at me silently.

"What?" I intercepted his gaze.

"Why did you ask to join the militia?"

"I hate digging in the ground. I'd rather shoot."

"Mike left. He's not coming back. I went everywhere with him. He wasn't a great shot, but he was a pleasure to be around. You're his replacement."

"You're putting me on probation?" I laughed.

"I already did. You could say I'm hiring you," he said seriously, which made me laugh.

"Okay," I agree, spread my hands.

Troy quickly loaded our stuff into the car, while I related a note to my parents' house. When I returned, he was already sitting behind the wheel with the engine running. The guards really didn't ask any questions and we left the ranch grounds unhindered. I don't know why, but I felt very safe with Troy. I felt like I could tell him everything, so I decided to reveal Alisha's secret about Jake going to Walker. Surprisingly, Troy was cool about it: 

"Let them go."

"But it's dangerous. They killed the ranch people!" I didn't understand why he didn't seem the least bit worried about his brother. Is he really that insensitive?

"Look, Della, they're not gonna do anything to my brother, much less Alicia."

"What makes you so sure?"

"I've known them a long time, believe me."

"It's hard to believe what you're saying about them, considering the last thing they did."

"Try me."

His calmness amazed me. Maybe he was right, and I shouldn't worry, but I couldn't help but worry about my friend.

It was almost two hours later. We'd traveled more than half the distance already, while discussing everything we could. Troy was interesting to talk to. He was weird, but pretty smart. Sometimes I felt like he and I had an age difference of 10 years instead of 5. It was rare. Usually with men it's the other way around. Even my husband, though older than me, was really 10, sometimes seemed like a child to me. Although he had a lot of intelligence. But Troy was probably just interesting and unpredictable. I couldn't predict what he was going to say next. It was always a mystery. And so, after discussing traveling with him, we ended up in Los Angeles. 

"You seriously haven't been anywhere outside of California? I don't believe it. How's that?"

"Usually. A lot of people haven't been. I don't think I'm missing anything. Although when I was a kid, I dreamed of going to Africa."